Protein skimmer sizing?

recliner

Reefing newb
My protein skimmer (I bought used that was on a 110 gallon tank) has no markings on it at all. Not a brand, model, or tank size rating. I have to have the dial turned almost to the max tomget it to bubble up into the collection canister. It I turn it to the max it would fill up a gallon jug in an hour (mostly just with clear tank water obviously) is there a way to make sure it is the proper size for my 150 gallon tank?

Did you just set it up? If so, it usually takes a week or two for the skimmer to break in. During that time, the skimmer won't work properly and will draw a lot of water. You will want to dial it down so that it doesn't collect anything in the collection cup, and just let it run for a week, then check and see if it's working at that time.

When there is protein to be skimmed out the bubbles will push a greeninsh foamish substance up higher than the thick layer of white bubbles. You have adjusted it way too high. When your system has protein to be removed you will be able to adjust it so that only the "froth" of protein is captured and not tank water. In many skimmers the layer between the white foam and white water will be somewhere in the middle of the smaller tube below the capture cup. You may want to start there and then fine tune it. If your salt to water mix is off it will effect the foam out-put. Also, if the water return tube from the skimmer has any blockage or is too long (head pressure) it will pump water into the collection cup or not adjust properly. To capture protein many skimmers need to get a little dirty from usage to start pushing protein froth into the capture tube well.

The following should help you to understand the theory and thus figure out how to adjust your skimmer.

The skimmer mimics the foam on the surf and takes advantage of the property of protein to stick to the water surface film of which there is many times more area of around those millions of tiny bubbles. Also, being that bubbles rise this carries the protein to the top layers in the skimmer tubes. As the tiny bubbles pop the protein is left at the top of the bubble nest and forms larger unorganized bubbles of slimmy froth.. this frothy mess is more sticky and elastic so it tends to collect the air from the popping of tiny clean bubbles and thus climbs into the collection cup as those growing slimmy bubbles need a place to expand. When they reach the larger container space of the collection cup the large unorganized bubbles are allowed to expand fully and tend to pop leaving a (hopefully) green soup of protein to be discarded.... .... kool gadget if you have a reef tank and want to remove protein...!

Thanx for listening...
-randy-

Last edited:
It's been up and running for over a month. I know I have it turned up too high but I don't mind putting more water in and would rather error on the side of pulling too much then not enough.
I can't get a pic up, but I did some searching online and took measurements of it, and I believe it is a Coralife skimmer for a 125 gallon.

My tank is 150, but with all my rock and sand I would have less. Is that something I need to replace with a bigger skimmer?

While a lot of folks will say the Corallife isn't a good skimmer, I'll say it's a decent skimmer.
You could go with either a bigger skimmer. Or just get another one and run 2 on the tank.

I've been trying to figure out where the bubble level should be in my skimmer. Right now I have it so the bubbles come up to the very edge of running over into the collection cup. They are clear bubbles with no gunk in them. Is this too high? I read somewhere it should only be halfway up the tube that runs through the collection cup.

It varies so much.. I think I would back it down to mid way in that barrel.. then wait and see if the next encounter with protein produces a green slimy slobbery set of bubbles that climb into the collection tube. If not adjust it up just a little.. and over a week or so make small adjustments to where it is producing the most slime in your catch cup. Then sharpie that level..

my opinion.. everyone has one...

Last edited:
If there's protein in there I should see it on the bubbles right? Little green/dark bits. My bubbles are looking super clean right now white and clear

If there's protein in there I should see it on the bubbles right? Little green/dark bits. My bubbles are looking super clean right now white and clear

That is right until you get it going... those bubbles should be micro bubbles like a foam..sort of. The line of water level you are looking for is where the water is boiling, bubbly, and turns more white and foamier. The white foam doesn't need to reach the base of the catch cup.. the protein will be sticky and cause larger bubbles to grow and climb into the catch tube.

Back