Protein Skimmer Story - Great Hose

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
This story is about my Protein Skimmer and a new hose that I found at Home Depot. Well it was new to me but I am pretty sure it is for the sprinkler as it was right by them.

Ok so I moved my Skimmer pump from the last chamber in my sump the middle chamber to avoid water level changes which in turn makes the skimmer barely work right.

So I can never find really flexible tubing especially in the 5/8 size need for my Coralife 125 and pump I have always had the clear tubing that doesn't like to bend.

Well I have finally found the tubing I have been looking for and the best part is that it is covered so I can't see how light can cause algae in my tubing.

I have a refugium in the same chamber the Skimmer Pump is in so it has a Coralife Refugium Light over it.

Right now I do not have the tubing in because after I connected it I had no air bubbles in my skimmer and after about an hour of changing and messing with different lengths of regular clear tubing I realized it wasn't that is was too long it was because water was in the air tube.

I figured it out after remembering the instructions said not to block the inlet. During the whole process I more than once blew air in the tube and it produced bubble for a second then they were gone. It wasn't until I said forget this and pulled the pump out and popped the air connection off then put it back on right at the pump inlet that it was totally clear and working correctly.

At this point I had already been at it for an hour and didn't feel like putting the new tubing back together,

I just want to note I wanted to have this VERY flexible tubing so I didn't have to raise the Skimmer up on a plastic tub because PVC doesn't bend and I didn't want to glue all this PVC to make a U bend.

In the photos you will see the tube with the blue on it. One photo has the sleeve pulled back so you can see the clear tubing and the other photo is to show the flexability with no kinks at all.

As a last note the ends can be turned 360 degrees so no matter where the ends are you can turn them to face the inlets/outlets.

I just slapped on threaded PVC pieces to allow for the threaded nipples the hose slides onto. I actually use that to allow me to join 2 hoses. They came in I think 6, 9 and 18 or 12" pieces. They have threaded ends.

Maybe someone out there is looking for a solution and this is it.

Tommorrow I will install this back in and now I know why I wasn't getting air bubble and it wasn't the tubing.

Attachments

• Pipe 1.jpg
    Pipe 1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 431
  • Pipe 2.jpg
    Pipe 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 431
  • Pipe 3.jpg
    Pipe 3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 354
Funny!

I am just trying to show people a really flexible hose that is cheap and covered because a lot of people say they can't find it.

Not all set-ups can benefit but mine does and many others.

Back