Protein skimmer???

I prefer internal (in sump) skimmers due to the fact they sit in the sump rather than out of it taking space in your cabinet.

I like the in-sump ones better. If it were to ever overflow then it would spill over into your sump and not all over your cabinet.

The only thing I dont like about my Lifereef setup is that the Skimmer sits next to the Sump system. It takes up valuable real estate in my stand. I'm still trying to figure out how to rig up a worthwhile ATO and keep it in the stand....

Unless you are going with a truly epic (like 36" tall or bigger) skimmer it seems like in-sump is the way the go. At the very least there are more to choose from and in general competition makes for better products.

Speaking of skimmers.... I saw the biggest ever at our saltwater store the other day! That thing was like 5 feet tall and 2 feet around lol

I like the in-sump ones better. If it were to ever overflow then it would spill over into your sump and not all over your cabinet.

This. Had my hob BH100f reef octopus overflow twice, and both times I was lucky enough to be in the room when it happened.

I had an external one. It was a reef octopus. Nothing but trouble. Tiny little mistake and you get your whole floor wet. I'll never get the external one again.

Reef Octopus is a great brand. It's just that from time to time, skimmers might over flow (either from chemicals/meds/excess waste), and having an external one means it'll overflow the only place it can go, like your floor.

Back