Protein skimmers and lighting

hermione423

Reefing newb
So I'm starting up a FOWLR tank, 55 gal, and i'm a noob at this stuff...can anyone give me suggestions on what brand of skimmer to get that will work good with a 55 gal? And on the lighting, I just have regular lighting right now going on the tank, but later if I decide to move to a reef, what specific type of lighting will I need?

do you have a sump? That will determine what kind of skimmer you can use. As far as brands go, Reef Octopus and ETSS skimmers are both good brands. For reef lighting on a 55, the current nova extreme pro T5 fixture is a great one.

I do not have a sump yet, I am planning on either DIY 20 gal sump because it doesn't look that hard to do (researched it on youtube lol) or buying a premade with baffles already in it.

I would plan on a DIY over buying a premade one -- making your own can save you a couple hundred bucks, and it's really easy!

That's the way I was thinking of going, it doesn't look all that hard. I just get a 20 gal tank, some silicone and super glue, cut the baffles to size, and place them where i want them with the super glue and silicone, then check for leaks right?

Yep, exactly. Measure the tank, then get the baffles cut for you at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know that Lowe's will cut them for free -- not sure about Home Depot though. You won't need super glue for the sump. Silicone will be fine.

Back