Protein Skimmers...

chade

Reefing newb
Hey im a total noob to this to excuse my ignorance, but I just got my 30G tank with sand, live rock filter and heater. My question is, is it necessary to get a skimmer right away, will the fish live with out one, im trying to save up and recupe some of my money again before i go spend some more. So would fish be fine for like a month without a skimmer? Or is it a pretty much must have before you get fish in there. Thanks

So what about after ti cycles,how long could i run with out a skimmer and like 2 fish and some crabs and what not.

I will let someone else help with that one. I have run one from about the second week of the cycle and it always pulls brown juice, so as long as it is doing that I consider it a needed item.

If you have another form of filtration, I think you would probably be fine without a skimmer, just be careful to monitor your water parameters and do regular water changes.

good to hear that...personally protein skimmers are a must in salwater tanks...cause it helps break down biological waste and helps oxigenate the tank...if yours is cycling..some livestock off the rock will die..so protein skimmer will help keep your parameters safe and it will help in the process of cycling..remember frecuent water changes....and welcome to LR..

Like every body else said,just keep an eye on your paremeters.You could run without a skimmer as long as you keep up your maintance.But I wouldn,t recommend it.
Just make sure you get a good skimmer the first time so you dont end up having to spend more money on another one.

PS
Dont forget to look into powerheads too.

Ok Thanks for your help...i added my first fish today just a few cheap damsels, and 2 blue leg hermets and a pregnet shrimp. I only have about 8lbs of live rock and plan on getting a little more. Forgive my ignorance once again but why must you have so much if i have a 30 gal tank its recomened like at least 60lbs, thats alot and alot of money for a tank that is being used mainly for looks. Thanks for your help again.

the downhill is that this hobbie is expensive...but go slow at your own pace..youll see how wonderfull can it be.. step by step....im glad i could help..take care..

Aquarium001.jpg

Aquarium002.jpg

Aquarium003.jpg

There a few pics of my set up so far...

The main reason for the rock,other than looks,is for the biolocial filtration.The more rock you have,the better your system can handle fish waste.
You dont have to use all live rock either.You can get base rock ,usually around a couple a buck per pound,then add 15 to 20 pounds of the live rock to seed the base.
Its a whole lot cheeper,and within 6 months,it'll all be live rock.
Are you planning on a reef system or a FOWLR?

yote said:
The main reason for the rock,other than looks,is for the biolocial filtration.The more rock you have,the better your system can handle fish waste.
You dont have to use all live rock either.You can get base rock ,usually around a couple a buck per pound,then add 15 to 20 pounds of the live rock to seed the base.
Its a whole lot cheeper,and within 6 months,it'll all be live rock.
Are you planning on a reef system or a FOWLR?

FOWLR Like i stated earlier, I know this is something that takes alot ofmaintaince and what not. But im just looking for a simple tank with some nice fish and keep it well maintained. This tank is mainly for asthetics. I would loe to do more with it but i am a pilot and dont have al the time in the world necessary to run a full on reef and everything. Mabey soon when i get some new gig i will have more time but as of now i dont.

OK,that helps me out,,yall gotta remember im getting old,lol j/k
When you get a chance,pick up a few pounds of the base rock.You dont have to get it all at once, untill you've got half or a little more the poundage,and finish it off with the live stuff.

PS
What kind a plane you fly?

Right now i fly for Delta Connection out of Orlando...my uncle is the CEO of pike electric back in NC (which is where my fam is from and where im from originally) and they have 3 Citations. One of there pilots is retiring and he says he can get me that job even thought I am a relatively low time pilot so if that works out i should be home about every night and have alot more money first of all lol and alot more time o mess with this aquarium stuff.

Cool,I wish you luck.
Thats something I wish I had took the time to learn.Back before I got married( when I could afford it).

i added my first fish today just a few cheap damsels, and 2 blue leg hermets and a pregnet shrimp. I only have about 8lbs of live rock and plan on getting a little more.

Am I understanding this correctly, you have already added fish and a shrimp? I thought this was a new setup just a few days old. You must wait until your cycle has completed before adding any livestock.

Have you completed the initial cycle on this tank yet? Search the forums here there are several good posts on how to cycle a tank and how to determine when the cycle has complted.

On my 29 gallon setup, even using live sand, and 30+ lbs of live rock the cycle took almost 4 weeks to complete. During the cycle the water quality will essentially be like swiming in raw sewage untile your biological filter kicks in and starts to breakdown the nasty chemicals and by products from the fish. This is another reason to use a larger amount of live rock, it will help aid the cycle of your tank. The other option is to get some sand from an established tank to kick start the process.

During this time you should not have anything like a shrimp in there because it is more than likely going to die. The damsels are another story, but I am not in favor of using live fish to cycle a tank. They may be hardy enough to survive the cycle but its not a nice thing for them to go through.

Another thing to consider, and please dont take this the wrong way. If you think you may not have the time to maintain the tank you may need to consider not keeping one. It is very important to be a responsible aquarist. Not having the time to maintain your tank is like flying without a pre-flight. You may get away with it but it will bite you in the end.

Again, please take tis as good advice. I am not trying to pick on you. I just want you to be successfull.

Back