Protien Skimmer setting

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by VAreef, Feb 20, 2007.

1. VAreef

VAreef

I've been reading articles on the foam setting for protein skimmers. I currently have mine set for the "dry" foam. Everywhere I read says dry or wet is a just personel preferance. My question is will the skimmer remove more contaminants from the water if its set for wet foam or will it pretty much just remove the same but take out more water with it? I would assume that a dry foam will not fill the cup as fast but probably skim out less junk? What are your recommendations and how/why do you set yours the way you do?

VAreef, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. VAreef

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Both my skimmers are dry skimming.
    The seaclone is not really set to dry skim,it just does.
    My corallife ss is more or less set to dry skim,but thats because im curing LR in the tank and dont want sewage overflowing into the carpet(cant afford a divorce and a tank too) once the tanks cycled im going to set for more wet skim

yote, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. VAreef

bobby I like to do bad things.

From what I understand wet takes out more water. I think they take out the same, if not I would say dry takes out more, but thats just a guess. I think the only time its beat to wet skimm is if you have a algae problem. Take what I say with a grain of salt though because I cant say for sure.

bobby, Feb 21, 2007
  4. VAreef

jhnrb

A wet foam will produce a clearer liquid in the collection cup and as others said will move more water out. skimming in this mode is less effective. Dry skimmate is what you want and a dark liquid in the cup is preferred. ever go to the beach. on some days the foam blows across the sand or sticks at the edge of surf. that is what you want. (Dry foam)

jhnrb, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question