Pump for Sump

That may have been a stupid question, but is it necessary to have? My thinking on it is that the overflow helps get oxygen into the water so it is really not necessary to have one.

Last edited:
What is the best type of pump for the sump to the display tank? External or Submersible?

Thanks
Nicholas

Depends on the application. I like external when space allows. I find it much easier to hook the pump up with some true union ball valves on each end which makes maintenance a breeze and everybody stays dry. Easier to access than having to reach down into your sump and disconnect hoses. There is also less heat transfer to the water.

There is also less heat transfer to the water.

....well...?.. while some heat would be lost into the air.....actually the pump uses the flow of liquid through it to sink heat... unless it is driven by a shaft or belt or similar so the motor and pump are not heat linked. Heat travels from the warmer item to the cooler item by convection, radiation, and conduction.

Conduction would be straight from the pump body into the water, conduction would also be from the motor through the materials to the pump body and then into the water.

.. and some heat is lost through convection into the air. So, you are right ...and some more heat is radiated to cooler objects in the room through the air. But most will be passed into the water because it is a much better conductor or heat.... and air is a very poor conductor of heat.. that is why we spend billions on storm windows and insulation with trapped air in it. ... which is good because it is why beer coolers work...:beerchug:.. and how much goes where depends on the configuration of the assembly.

:coffeemug......all just passed along in fun...:wave:..:nanananan

Last edited:
Back