pump size???

Flyers

Reefing newb
OK, my question is what GPH size pump would I need for a 220gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump? I'm so confused. some people say it should be rated at 10x the amount of the size of the tank. Is that 2200GPH?? what pump do you guys suggest?

well from my reading it should be 6-12x according to the size of your tank. But depending on what you are planning on putting in there will determine what you want to have your GPH at. AS a wise person on this forum told me.

There is never to much. Considering the ocean is very the same all the time, there is nothing wrong with a strong current.

when getting to that size tank I personally like to go with external high pressure pumps.. I just feel they are designed better for moving that kind of water.. higher head height with less loss.. I just recently switched over to external on my 150...

marcah I would have to agree on that. internal powerheads is not really good on tanks above 100 gallons two to three High volume heads coming off a main source puts out a good amount of GPH. there are many diagrams on how to set it up online Flyers!

I am running my tank powerhead free now ( see how well it works out but so far the corals love it).. I ran 1 inch pvc up then downed it to 3/4 just before I put the heads on the end( little more pressure).. key is to create a whirlpool effect inside the tank so one jet on the front left corner one on the rear right corner..

Back