Pump volume

Barch

Reefing newb
I just getting ready to set up my first reef aquarium. I have spent several hr on the web searching sites and information as this is my first attempt at salt water tank. I've had several fresh water tanks over the years etc. I have a 95 gal. tank and a 55 that I'm setting up as the refugium/sump. My question is on flow rate, I see various pumps rated at different flow rates etc. I want to know what the best flow rate would be for my tank, is this based on how many times you want to "turn the tank" in an hr? I will be able to control the return and feed with valves. Since it is a reef tank I will have power heads in the tank for proper circulation, I'm just concerned about how much water to feed and return from the refugium....does this make sense? Any help would be appreciated I look forward to getting acquainted with all of you. Thanks!

i would shoot for at least 1000gph at ur tanks height.. ....personally i would go with the
MAG-DRIVE SUPREME 18

I'd say min is 10-20 times your tank size. if your going for more challenging corals i've read some saying 50-60 times. I like the marineland pumps, I run 1 4500 model and a mag 7 pump. I believe the marineland pump uses less electricity and the mag runs a little louder.

My next question is on powerheads, My tank is 48x18x30 so it's fairly tall. I was thinking of two powerheads on each end of the tank. I'm looking at the Koralia Magnum 7 - 2700GPH. Will this be good enough for my tank?.

What type of coral do u plan on keeping? I would reccomend maybe 1 magnum 7 , & 2 smaller power heads so u don't have any dead spots and u have more control over what part of ur tank gets flow.

+1 Cheeser

Multiple small power heads are better than one large one. You can aim them at different areas and target any dead spots that might collect :pooh:

thanks for the advice, I'm going for more of a reef tank with fish. I've herd that water movement is critical to the success of a reef tank so that's why I ask since this is my first attempt at a salt water tank.

yeah u definitely need good flow, especially if your gonna be keeping sps in your tank. u just wanna make sure theres no dead spots for detritus to settle in ur tank, u wanna keep that stuff suspended so its removed via flitration. also u need enough flow throughout to make it harder for algae to grow.

Back