Pumping water from the garage to my tank

tp1011

Reefing newb
is what im thinking. I have my 20 gal. Brute can in the garage along with my RO/DI unit. I mix in there then I pump into
a 5gal bucket then carry into the house and pump into tank. Did mention I spilled every where too.

I m sure some of you do what Im thinking. I would like to pump the water from the garage to the tank using a pump and tubing with a valve so I can turn it off at the tank when its full.

Its about 30 - 40ft is my guess from garage to tank what size pump would you think I need using 1/2 in tubing?

If you do this what do you use would love some input.

Thanks

Funny you should mention that, to avoid looking like im promoting I will say thee are economical solutions out there already that do exactly that. Best suggestion is hit up google.

it's doesn't really matter too much what pump you use. It all depend on how fast you want the water to fill up your tank. This is a good idea and you should do it. If I were you I would just get a 7-800 gph pump and not even put a valve on it. When the water is getting close to filling up just go back and turn off the pump. Just make sure the aquarium end is out of the water so it doesn't suction back.

I have a setup where I mix water from the basement and use a mag 9 (900 gph) pump to pump it up to the tank.
Don't put a valve on the pump this will ruin the pump. I use a remote switch but you can just turn it off.

I pump the water into the sump first and have the return pump put it into the tank. I just don't like the idea of fresh water hitting the tank (just in case I screwed up). If you do this - you have to watch the sump to make sure it doesn't overfill/run dry as your return pump will run at a different rate.

Back