Pumps

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
What size pump would I need for a 220 tank ? And is an internal or external pump better.
Oh, and power heads. I already have 2 Koralia's. I think they are 850 .. Would I need more ?

Thanks ..

For the internal vs. external debate, the internal route would be easier to hook up, but might put excess heat in your tank. Personally, I have an internal as I have to heat my tank anyways and I'd rather re-coup some of the energy.

Are the externals noisier ? We were going to put the sump in the basement, but changed. It would be too hard to get down there if anything happened. We have cellar doors. So, the sump will be under the tank.

I just drilled a hole in my sump and added a bulkhead 1" and presto done + it's a whole lot easier to work on should it get clogged with cheato (as has happened) or someting.. as for noise that depend's witch manufacture you go with. I went with awaki for my 90 (external) but there kinda pricey.Your also going to want to turn the water over at LEAST 4-5 time's an hour so for a 220 gal yer looking at a pump that can handle a 1000 to 1100 gallon's per hour (depending on how many feet of head) the more head the bigger he pump...

Back