purigen by seachem???

Never used that before.But the best way to lower nitrates is with water changes and regular maintance of any and all filter media(bio-0balls and the like).

How long has this tank been set up?
If its a new system and is cycling,then your better off to just let it run its course.
If its been set up a while and you got ammonia,then you got a bad problem like something dead in there.

well it as been setup for 3 years,2 weeks ago i had it drilled"so i had to empty it".while it was empty i rinsed my substrate and set it back up.now its not doing very well.

Its cycling.Theres not a whole lot you can do about it except let it go.If you have fish and corals,your gonna have to remove them ASAP.
At this point,water changes and chemical filtration is just going to prolong it.
Good luck.

If you can not find anywhere else to house this tanks inhabitants I would mix up a fresh tub of saltmix and move the corals there. They may not like this but it will be ammonia free.

As for the fish and the rock a ammonia detox agent like amquel or ammo lock should be added to this tank. These products do work but are a source of great confusion to many.

They work by converting free ammonia (NH3) which is deadly to ionic ammonia (NH4+) which is relatively harmless. The confusion comes when chemical test kits are used that measure total ammonia (both NH3 and NH4+). If a ammonia sensor is used it will only indicate the presence of free ammonia which is what your worried about.

Since these products are pretty much inp0sable t0 0verd0se m0re can be added if the sens0r indicates climbing free amm0nia.

Since the bacteria that c0nvert amm0nia t0 nitrite d0nt care what f0rm the ammonia is the tank will finish its cycle with 0nly i0nic amm0nia present and will save much 0f y0ur r0ck and if n0t already t0 late y0ur fish.

F0rgive all the zer0s, the 0 key fell 0ff my keyb0ard.

Back