Purple Algae???

jhnrb

Reef enthusiast
Holidayrj posted as follows; relocated from the articles section

I've got this stuff in my tank, covering most of my LR, and the invertibrate shells that is like purple spraypaint or something. It is a very thin layer, and I can't get it off or the shells, or the glass on my tank even with a razer blade. So, what is this :pooh: . Just looking for a lil insight fron the Reefing Gods :bowdown:

There are some very good articles on algae in the helpful articles forum. I recommed you go there and read read read all the articles on algae, new tank setups, water quality as you will find in those articles enough information to give you a basis to decide what you have. a pic would help a bunch. based on the difficulty to remove I too suspect coraline algae. a calcerous algae that is sought after by many reefers. after browsing the helpful articles, if you still have questions let us know here. welcome to the forum.

glitch

it's a glitch, i made the inital post, and it sounds like coraline algae to me, from the reading. I'll post a pic tonight. But, should i be concerned, cause it's covered eveything, including some corals?

Good but not when it starts to cover corals move coral (if you can)out of its path im not sure how to remove off corals though Ive never had the problem before.how fast did it cover everything?p.s coralline allge it sounds like inless it happened over night then its something else coraline alge grows slowly

Last edited:
Sorry about the confusion, the coraline algae is growing on "bleached" coral, not live. But I'm concerned about adding live coral to the tank. Previously I have been running a fish only tank, with LR, some LS, but mostly CC for a substrate. I've had no problems other than a rebel snail escaping :moped: , and a serial killer crab :chair: . Within the past few months, closer to a year the coraline has been growing, now it seems to be out of control. It's on probably 80% of my LR, most of my CC substrate, and even on crab and snail shells. I'd like to add some corals, but if I add it and in a month it's covered, there is no point in doing that. It looks beautiful, but I need a way to tame it. :chair: Like I said In an earlier post, I'll put up some pics tonight, or Monday. Thanks for all the help so far, but still struggling :frustrat:

RJ

I have never heard of coraline algea growing on live coral (correct me if I am wrong anyone), so I would say your tank is doing well. Most people I know would love the have that problem. I would go ahead and add a coral and see what happens. Not to mention you probibly only want to add one at a time anyway. I have a lot of coraline algae in my tank and it is not bothering any of my corals. I hope this helps.

(correction) it does grow on corals but not all or (i've just not seen)i seen some just yesterday, i like to pick on my fish store owner about none healthy specimens or diseased fishes when brought into the store but its mostly because of shipment,but it does happen sorry.Also in my tank my coralline allege covers 50% of the LR and around corals but have not seen CLa growth on corals yet(cross my fingers).hope this helps a little :beerchug:

Pictures

OK, I got the pics

Picture019.jpg

That is a large picture of my tank, not a great pic.

Picture021.jpg

Closer pic of Lava rock with CLA

Picture034.jpg

CLA on the glass

Picture036.jpg

This is a good picture of some of my LR, Lava rock, and the "dead" coral all covered in CLA

I think that's it for now. It seems that all is ok, I just need to start adding a coral, and keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the help again!

I'd also like to congradulate myself for mastering attaching pics to the forum. Go me!! :bowdown:

Protein skimmer Odyssea Pro Pack Protein Skimmer Dual

I'm also curious is anyone has ever used, or heard of a Odyssea Pro Pack Protein Skimmer Dual I currently have no protein skimmer on my system, and was looking into one of these. A guy I met at my LPS ordered one of these, and got 2 of them shipped to him for the price of one, so he's selling one for $50. I told him i'd get back to him today. Is this a good deal, or should i not waste my time.

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I agree with the others coralline is usually something most reefers desire. It shows that your water is at good balance. Also if your lighting is on the lower watts per gallon sometimes coralline will grow quicker. It should not grow on or over take any healthy corals. Sometimes hermit crabs will remove it for you. The skimmer you are talking about is a knock off of a Bak Pak 2 protein skimmer. Depending on the pump it is using it may do ok. Most Odyssea stuff is over spec. Like the pump rate might be lower that stated. But the one you’re looking at has two pumps. So worst case scenario the pumps may be short lived but the design is good. $50 is a nice price though.I used one of their PC lights for a short while and it a good buy for the $$ I spent.

Skimmer

Reguardless of which skimmer you finally decide on get a skimmer that is rated for at least 2x the water volume. so if you have 50 gal of water get a skimmer rated for a 100 gal tank. hope this helps. (skimping up front only will cost more in the long run)

The Protein Skimmer is rated for 150gal, and my tank is only a 60gal. I think even on the safe side, it's about double, so it should be good. I'll pick it up later today, and let you know how it's doing.

I'm curious what you all would suggest as my 1st corals. every thing in my tank is reef safe. I have ocellaris clowns, green chromis, blue hippo tang, cleaner shrimp, small arrow crabs, and some miscellanious small crabs and snails. I think I want to get a couple sebae anemone for my 2 clowns in the next week or so, but I don't know what kind of coral would be good for me to get my feet wet with. I need something hearty, but also looks interesting. any input will be much appreciated.

Do you have to have moon lighting for corals?

Thanks,
RJ

LPS,SPS coral and Anemones require a high watts per gallon light source and good and stable water conditions.Sebae's sometime harder to keep.I have good success with mine within the 6 months I have had it.Both my clowns(sebae and alse perc) are hosting it.I think this has made its servival possible.What type of lighting do you have?John will probley recomend some good books for you.
In my opinion good starter coral would be mushrooms and Zoos(alot of nice colors can be found.Try soft coral at first to be safe.

What is the total wattage for the lighting? A 4 x65 watt pc light fixture will give you low end amont of light for corals. Around $200 for a regular hood.A metal halide setup /power compact is what I would chose for your size tank

Last edited:
Im running Ocean Sun Bulbs by Zoo Med. 2 bulbs, each at 32 watts for about 14hours a day. I guess I need to get a timer, that seems a lil long??? But, the fish don't seem to be stressed.

I been doing a lil research into some corals today on http://www.petsolutions.com and using the advise of getting soft corals, and the helpful article stating that LPS are easier to take care of than SPS, I'm leaning toward getting a soft coral called "Anthelia" to try as my 1st coral. According to petsolutions.com:

Adding a graceful motion to the home aquarium, Anthelia, Anthelia sp. , is a great addition that is durable and grows easily once established. Also known as Encrusting Anthelia or Waving Hands Polyp, Anthelia will grow in most lighting conditions, placement levels, and water flow levels. This coral has a medium aggression level as its encrusting growth method covers both rock and glass surfaces. By placing “starts†at several locations that are making contact with the back glass of the aquarium, Anthelia can make a dramatic aquarium background over time. Each stalk of the pink/brown Anthelia is a work of art in itself. Each stalk contains one “handâ€. Each hand consists of eight “fingers.†Each finger has 24 tiny tentacles that run along each side of the finger. That makes 48 tentacles per finger and 384 tentacles per hand! Anthelia It will definitely benefit from occasional target feedings of plankton or brine shrimp, as well as foods designed for filter feeders such as Marine Snow or Phyto-Plex. Calcium and strontium will help ensure its continued health.

167900L.jpg
[/IMG]

this sounds like it would be a good starter to me, and very interesting looking in my tank. Any one wanna throw there :twocents: in on my idea?

Back