Purple tip anemone

MamawVal

Reefing newb
I purchased a purple tip anemone on Jan. 27. I was doing pretty good & has moved around some. But yesterday I added my new light & it seems to dislike it. It is all withdrawn & shrunken...Do they not like the brighter lights or what? I have 2 65W day lights & 2 at. lights as well as 8 LED moonlights. Should I try moving it to a somewhat darker location?:question:

first off, I would be carefull with that choc chip star in your tank. second, did you acclimate your tank when you switch your lights?

Yes, I have heard about the chocolate chip starfish, I am in the process of cycling a 30 gallon tank to put the starfish in...but so far he has been good & not bothered anything at all....I keep an eye on him! :-)

I read on here smewhere that the purple tips like a lot of light, so I don't know what's up with this lil guy.

when you switch to your new light, did you acclimate it to the new lighting system? it might be stressed because of the sudden change in lighting.

You have 2 x 65 watt daylights over a 55 gallon tank??? I doubt that it's lack of light that has upset the anemone. That's just over 2 watts per gallon. Anemones need at least 8 watts per gallon to survive. They require more light than most corals do. My guess is that it's just slowly dying from lack of light. The new lights you bought will not be near enough to keep it alive. If I were you, I'd return the anemone ASAP to the store. When anemones die, they can wipe out the entire tank with them.

My light has: 8-Blue Moon LED lights (4 duals), 4 - 65 Watt bulbs - (2) 12,000K daylight and (2) 03 true actinic.
I also have a carpet anemone & a condy, both are doing great & have since perked up wonderfully after the new light :-)

Last edited:
You only have 4.72 watts per gallon.Thats no where near enough for an anemone.It'll eventually bleach out.Then it'll slowly starve to death.

That's what I can't understand...the other anemones I have are doing wonderful. I was thinking maybe this one was possibly injured on it's foot somehow in transport. But thank goodness it only cost $6.
I have been told so many different things about the lighting. I was told I need 3 W per g. which would be 165 & I have 240. And a local expert said opinions vary on all aspects of SW tank requirements. I know that very often, it does get confusing.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Back