Purple up and Kent Marine Liquid Calcium

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
What is the difference between Purple up and Kent Marine Liquid Calcium, and should I be using both? I know they're necessary for the lrs, but are they both the same thing?

Before you even think about adding calcium, what is the calcium level in your tank now?

PurpleUp is a total waste of money. It contains a weak solution of calcium chloride and ground up aragonite. The Kent Liquid is fine for raising your calcium level...if needed. An even cheaper alternative is Kent TurboCalcium. Mix 2 cups of Kent TurboCalcium in a gal of RO water and you have a gallon of Kent Liquid Calcium. :)

Before you even think about adding calcium, what is the calcium level in your tank now?

PurpleUp is a total waste of money. It contains a weak solution of calcium chloride and ground up aragonite. The Kent Liquid is fine for raising your calcium level...if needed. An even cheaper alternative is Kent TurboCalcium. Mix 2 cups of Kent TurboCalcium in a gal of RO water and you have a gallon of Kent Liquid Calcium. :)

Capts dead on.
Dont waste your money on purple up.It'll just make your water cloudy for a couple of hours.
And dont add any calcium or any other additive unless you've got a test kit for it.

Yeah, I guess I need to test my calcium levels then LOL I haven't used either. It came with the tank my brother gave me, and he used them. I'm still awaiting my rodi from my lfs because my nitrates aren't going down with my water changes since I have nitrates in my tap.

So my calcium levels should remain at a certain level, and I'd only need to add more calcium supplements if the levels go down, is that correcT?

If the calcium is too high, what would cause this if I hadn't added any calcium, how bad would that be for my lrs, AND how do I lower it?

It's doubtful that your calcium could be too high. If it is too high, it will start forming solids in the water and on your equipment (precipitating out). I would say it would be nearly impossible for your calcium to be too high if you are not adding it. Most salt mixes contain a good amount of calcium, and as long as you're doing regular water changes and don't have a lot of SPS corals, just doing water changes is enough to keep calcium at a good level.

I also found that Purple Up worked wonders for both tanks that I used it on. Although I didn't have any non-Purple Up control tank to compare it to, so maybe it would have grown coralline anyways.

I've used Purple Up too, with success. The problem was when I followed the directions I decided to stop testing the calcium (because I was following the directions, after all). Well when I did a test my calcium was at 660! No telling how long it was like that. No solids though.

well if your calcium and alkalinity are testing out where they should... then i think you'd be better off keeping your money in your pocket, and perhaps getting some coraline scrapings from a friend.... just a thought...

it works for some people but it is just cal and crushed sand. i can buy calcium cloride and make a gal of cal soultion (same as purple up) for about 5 bucks.

Nathans right.As long as the calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium are right.And phosphates and nitrates are low,coralline will grow.

Back