"purple up"

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
I was reading some threads and I came up to want that talks about adding something called "purple up" to have Coraline Algae grow. Where can I buy this? Sorry if its a stupid question.

Purple-Up
Purple-Up uses a dual method approach to encourage coralline algae growth. By combining Ionic Calcium and 10 micron aragonite, Purple Up provides an immediate rise in your aquariums dissolved calcium levels and also delivers strontium, magnesium and carbonate right where it is needed. Purple-Up also replenishes iodine, which is an essential element for coralline algae tissues.

https://www.petsolutions.com/Purple-Up+I18400530+C38.aspx

Thank smitty...Does it really work? My rocks are starting to purple up already but its taking for ever, but if this product makes it a little bit faster and its safe why not give it a try.

Just FYI, it's kind of a waste of money... you will grow coraline all on your own if you just give it time. There will come a time in this hobby where you will curse coraline because it will be on everything.

It does work very well and fast, but liked stated above, it will grow on in due time on its on, and you will hate it at times...lol.

Thank you guys for the help... I will give it a try and see how it works out for me and I will let you guys know... Maybe I'll hate it in the future but now I want it. lol

If you really wont to speed up your coralline growth,just get a new soft bristled tooth brush,and gently brush the coralline you already have.
The only thing purple up ever did for my tank,was make it cloudy for a couple of hours when I dosed it.
Save your money for corals:D

+1 Yote. Having more coraline doesn't really make any difference in the tank other than appearance. I remember back to my first days in the hobby. A LFS told me that when the rocks were covered in coraline, I would know that I was ready to add my first fish. I bought purple up thinking that the algae was in some way helping prepare the tank for the fish, and so I tried to rush it in order to be able to add my first fish more quickly. In reality, he was just speaking to the natural timing of the tank and knew that by the time I started having nice coraline growth, I would be far enough along to properly keep a fish. At this point in the hobby, I don't really see an advantage to accelerating coraline growth and I wouldn't waste the money, not because the product doesn't work, but because it accomplishes nothing useful (unless you just prefer that your rocks are purple) and that's my :twocents:

i bought into the purple up once and i used two bottles of it and nothing happened. i think it is just a marketing scheme to sell some cal supplement

As Justin (mng777777) said, it's a waste of money. It is nothing more than a weak solution of calcium chloride and crushed aragonite (which does not dissolve). Instead of wasting your money on this product, buy some good calcium, alk and magnesium test kits, test your water and dose accordingly.

If you need to dose calcium, buy Kent TurboCalcium.
If you need to dose alk, buy Arm & Hammer baking soda.
If you need to dose mag, buy Epsom salts.

yep, I didn't like it it makes your tank cloudy you can't find other calcium dosing methods that will not do that, that is to road I went instead I still have 3/4 of a bottle from a year ago when i first got into the hobby... I wouldn't wast your $

Back