putting in my new stand

project5k

Reef enthusiast
Ok, I wasnt really sure where the best place for this was, so i thought the DIY might as well be as good as any...

so heres the deal, if you have been following my showcase thread, you know i'm building a new stand to go under my tank. well, its getting closer and closer to that time where i'm gonna wanna actually put my stand in place, and put the tank on it. Problem is that my tank is up and running...

so, in order to move the tank from the old stand to the new stand, i'm obviously gonna have to just about completly drain the tank(its 75gal)

my questions are as follows,
Do i really have to completly drain the tank?
do i finally commit to drilling the back or not while its drained?
can i leave the sand in the tank and just move it like that?
i know i have to take the rock out, can i just put it in trashcans full of water for the hour or so that it will take to move everything? with no circulation?
what do i do with 70 gallons of water? should i try and keep a bunch of it? how much?
how far in advance should i mix up my replacement water, and how much do i mix?
what do i do with everyone? do i try and net them and throw them in the cooler i used to move them the first time?

what are some things that i can start doing now to make this easier, and less stressfull for me and for my salty friends?

Ok I moved my 29 gal a few years back.

First, you will notice a mini cycle when you move everything. You kick some stuff up.

I owuld move all the rock into a clean garbage can (maybe a 55 gal drum) and fill it up with the tank water. Then catch all the fish. It will be easier to do without the rock in there. And either put them in the cooler or the garbage can. Empty out as much of the water as possible. Then move the tank onto the new stand.

If you want to drill it, might as well right now. But I would be too afraid of breaking it and not having anywhere to put all my livestock.

Take the rock and arrange it in the tank. Add the water from the garbage can back to the tank. Top it off with some fresh mixed salt water that was made about a day or so ago. Then acclimate the livestock back in. The mini cycle you see shouldnt be too bad since all the LR is cured and you are using alot of your existing water.

Brian

Ok, I wasnt really sure where the best place for this was, so i thought the DIY might as well be as good as any...

so heres the deal, if you have been following my showcase thread, you know i'm building a new stand to go under my tank. well, its getting closer and closer to that time where i'm gonna wanna actually put my stand in place, and put the tank on it. Problem is that my tank is up and running...

so, in order to move the tank from the old stand to the new stand, i'm obviously gonna have to just about completly drain the tank(its 75gal)

my questions are as follows,
Do i really have to completly drain the tank? You should remove most or all of the live rock and most of the water
do i finally commit to drilling the back or not while its drained? this would be a good time to do that but be prepared if something goes wrong
can i leave the sand in the tank and just move it like that? yes
i know i have to take the rock out, can i just put it in trashcans full of water for the hour or so that it will take to move everything? with no circulation? yes you can but it would be best if you could put a power head in with it
what do i do with 70 gallons of water? Get rubbermaid and trash cans I would keep all of it, you should start draining the tank pull out as much water as you can before you start moving the live rock. should i try and keep a bunch of it? how much?
how far in advance should i mix up my replacement water, and how much do i mix? a day or two and mix enough to replace 30 or so gallons
what do i do with everyone? do i try and net them and throw them in the cooler i used to move them the first time? I always have put my fish and corals in a rubbermaid or a cooler would work, be sure you have a heater and airstones ready for them

what are some things that i can start doing now to make this easier, and less stressfull for me and for my salty friends?
Be sure that you have enough containers and help.

Step 1: have water mixed and ready to go
Step 2: Have enough container to hold as much water as possible
Step 3: Have nets, airstones, heaters, powerheads, your hose to drain.
Step 4: Start draining your water into your containers, as you are doing this move corals to these containers and if you can catch fish along the way.
Step 5: once most of the water is out of the tank start removing your live rock into container with water in it.
Step 6: catch fish by this time most of your water will be gone so it won't be to difficult
Step 7: Put in heaters and airstones for your fish
Step 8: Get your buddies to help move your tank to your stand.
Step 9: Put your rock back into place
Step 10: Start pumping water back in, have it run down your rocks (or put in a glass plate over your sand this will help it to not get so cloudy.
Step 11: Put turn your pumps etc. back on get things circulating and start putting your fish and corals back in
Step 12: If you are able put some pillow badding in to help clear your water quicker.
Step 13: Sit back and have a BEER :mrgreen:

yea thats about what i had figured.. so ya'll think i can do it and leave the sand in the bottom of the tank? i dont have but maybe an inch or so of sand... i mean the wife and i carried the empty tank into the house, so i would think that if i could get one strong helper then i should be able to pick it up with the sand in it... i'm just worried about breaking the tank...

i'm still not sold on drilling or not yet.. i want a drilled tank sooooooo bad, but i just dont know if i can risk it with no where else to put everyone... i guess for now, i'll just play it safe and stick with my HOB overflows, then in the future when i get a bigger tank, i'll just have it drilled before i start...

everytime i have moved a tank i left the sand in the tank and just a bit of water over it to keep it wet so nothing dies in the sand

if i could afford it i would. but considering that i cant even scrape together enough to get a protine skimmer right now, i could offer you a picture of a paper airplane, but thats about it... sorry.

if i could afford it i would. but considering that i cant even scrape together enough to get a protine skimmer right now, i could offer you a picture of a paper airplane, but thats about it... sorry.

Then I guess I will just send you a picture of a stick figure to help out:bounce:

hehehe i like that, thats along the lines of the guy that got a red light ticket in the mail with his picture, so he mailed them a picture of the money...

do i really risk drilling it? are you gonna help me get a new tank if i blow this one up?

Back