pvc glue

Yeah im pretty sure its all the same. Just be sure once you use the cement and put the pipes or fittings on, that you want it just like that lol. Cuz its not moving much after you push them on since it starts to melt the pvc so fast.

Yeh you can use the primer and pvc glue or the cement,,,they both the same,,,The only thing is make sure It's dry before running water through it..

I thought so thanks guyz for the help,I have about half the stuff(heaters, sump, pumps,powerheads,and I have the lights and protein skimmer coming in a few days man its taken me since jan to get this far on the 55.lol :shock:

You can use the purple primer and pvc glue as mentioned. there is also a one step glue, but, be careful here as there is also a general purpose glue out there as a one step. you know you have the wrong stuff if the glue turns milky after application. the one i like is called red hot, but i also use the primer. now before you connect the fittings put together dry and make a mark just where you want them on each piece, then seperate and primer both, dont need a lot here, then apply glue to male insert, when you start to put the pieces together you only get one shot to do it so aline your two pieces about a 1/4 turn apart and as you slide them together rotate till the two lines match that you put on earlier. this will give your joint a wipe and if done correctly you will not have any leaks as the glue will wipe full circumferance of the inserted fitting. hope this helps.

The glue I use on water lines in the plumbing trade is made by Oatey called Rain or Shine. Always use primer, beforehand. And it doesn't take much, like jhnrb told you. Clean pipe AND fitting, then add glue to pipe AND fitting then give it a quarter turn. This gives the glue enough friction to heat up and make a very good bond. Hold your fitting in place for a about 10 seconds, so it doesn't back out. It happens to the best of us! If you have to do any repair work, you'll like rain or shine because, it will set up even if it's wet. That can save you a huge mess and lives. There is nothing wrong with using it from day 1, though. It has a little more give/flexibility when it's dry than ordinary pvc cement. Ordinary pvc cement is not designed for very much pressure. We use it mostly on drainage. In my experience, I feel most comfortable using Rain or Shine on ALL water lines. And in use exposed to the elements in this hobby/trade, I'll say it's the best anyone could use.

Burney
Journeyman Plumber UA Local 17

Last edited:
Back