PVC & Ozone ?

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
I have a homebuilt pressurizable trickle filter made of 8" PVC pipe which I was thinking can be used also as an oxygen reactor (by periodic ozone injection) in a Berlin setup - if the PVC is ozone-safe. Is PVC pipe resistant enough to ozone ?

check out this link. Ozone Compatible Materials, Material Compatibility with Ozone, Ozone Fittings, Seals, Compatible Materials It seems somewhat ok for PVC. I'm certain the pipe won't fail but I don't know if it will cause harm to the tank. Ozone pretty much eats everything though. I've designed ozone power supplies for my job so I've worked with it before. Maybe a teflon tube would be better? You might be able to get some free samples from Zeus (Zeus - Materials). That's about as much input as I can give. Hopefully someone else can comment.

check out this link. Ozone Compatible Materials, Material Compatibility with Ozone, Ozone Fittings, Seals, Compatible Materials It seems somewhat ok for PVC. I'm certain the pipe won't fail but I don't know if it will cause harm to the tank. Ozone pretty much eats everything though. I've designed ozone power supplies for my job so I've worked with it before. Maybe a teflon tube would be better? You might be able to get some free samples from Zeus (Zeus - Materials). That's about as much input as I can give. Hopefully someone else can comment.

Looks OK for what little exposure to ozone it will be getting; just a small daily dose administered for an hour at probably 25 mg/hr to inhibit bacteria growth & prevent the reactor from becoming a trickle filter.

Back