QT Tank questions

AHill40

reefer head
I know a lot of poeple use QT tanks, my question is after (cycleling)setting up and after useing this tank what then become of your tanks? meaning do you keep the water in it, heater,filter and power head running to keep it cycled or sould I just start all over and shut it completly down untill the next use? Or if i were just useing it as a holding tank for coral or other fish? I have since gottin a lionfish that a friend had gave me and I wanted to use this tank when Im doing major clean up or mantinace on my 55 gal for short periods of time, I dont really want to get stung by this lionfish :death: LOL, know what I mean Your help is much appericiated :D...... Art

If your running a sponge filter on the QT after your done with the QT you can drain it and throw the sponge filter into the sump (if available) of your DT, then it will be ready for quick set-up. When the time comes do like cthegame says and do a water change on your main tank then use that water to fill the QT.

ofcourse one other thought might be to have it set up so that you have ball valves between the DT and the QT, and when your not using it as a QT then open the valves and have it just add volume to your DT system... Just have to be carefull if you put any kind of meds or whatever in the QT so that they dont end up in the DT.

Just a noob's thought....

Yeah, if you have a sponge in your QT tank and you have medicated, definitely do not put the sponge back in your display tank. Most people tear down their QT tank in between uses.

Back