Quarantining Nass Snails

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Is is necessary to nass snails before placing them in the tank? I ordered 20 on ebay and they are coming this next week and I was wondering if I should quarantine them and if so then how do you quarantine them? What is the process? I always at least rinse them off in some tank water before putting them into the tank.

I have never quarantine snails before putting them into my tanks. I have not heard of anyone doing it either. I would drip acclimate/temperature acclimate them for at least 3 hours and then pick them up and place them into the tank. I don't think you'll need to rinse them.

Itkenbo I ordered 25 nass snails off of ebay. They came in bags with no water. I just floated them and slowly added a little water over an hour and then dropped them in. The bad news was most of them died within two months. My tank looked like a snail graveyard. I thought I was getting a good deal. I had been buying nass snails at a LFS for $4/each. These snails I still have and they are getting large. They have that big feeler that comes out of their shell. The ones from ebay seemed like knock-off nass snails.

Hope yours are better. :)

Itkenbo I ordered 25 nass snails off of ebay. They came in bags with no water. I just floated them and slowly added a little water over an hour and then dropped them in. The bad news was most of them died within two months. My tank looked like a snail graveyard. I thought I was getting a good deal. I had been buying nass snails at a LFS for $4/each. These snails I still have and they are getting large. They have that big feeler that comes out of their shell. The ones from ebay seemed like knock-off nass snails.

Hope yours are better. :)

What seller did you order them from? The guy I ordered them from ships them in a Kordon breather bag. Also both "steelcity" and "Project5k" ordered snails from the same guy about a month ago, however I have not heard anything about the snails recently. However, "steelcity" did say the guy gave him like way more than he ordered so he traded them in at his LFS.

sorry i didnt get back to you on my results, mine were shipped in a special bag with no water, and so i just dumped them in a 1 gallon container i had and then set up a drip line, and let them drip for a while..

As for survival, well, i ordered like 20 i think, but i got more like 60+ of them... as far as i can tell, they have all pretty much survived, i know that a few died cause my clownfish keeps pick'n at them, and i saw him suck one out of its shell, so i'm sure that there are a few dead, but for the most part, i think i got one heck of a good deal, paid for like 20, got like 60, put about 40 in the 75 gallon main tank, put 10 or so in the fuge, and then the last 5 or so i dropped into the sump...

Sweet, that would be awesome if I got that many, lol. I found the picture in your build thread and thought I would post it for others to see:

4468d1261157045-project5k-and-new-75gal-salt-tank-12-18-09-s.jpg

Anyways, my package tracking for USPS says it arrived at the local post office early this morning, so hopefully they will be delivered this afternoon. It's fairly cold here in Cookeville, TN right now so I hope I can get them soon.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I ordered mine from oceansgarden-inc. The only problem that I had was with the snails. I had also ordered three feather dusters that are beautiful, 5 peppermints (actually got 6 and they have all grown) and some copepods. Hope your snails do a great job!!

So they came into today, yes I got 60 of them. It appears that only like 11 of them are not emerging from there shells (I left them in the bowl). Many of them appear to be digging into the sand but how come like 10 of them are crawling all over the glass? I thought these snails were only sand sifters.

Here's some pics:

DSC06081.jpg

DSC06083.jpg

DSC06084.jpg

DSC06085.jpg

DSC06086.jpg

DSC06087.jpg

DSC06090.jpg

yea, all of mine eventually came out of thier shells but some of them took 3-4 hours.. but eventually they all came out and yea, some of mine are climbers, and some of them are sand sifters, i dunno, maybe just different personalities of the snails, or what it is, but mine are doing the same thing, eh, just watch em on the glass, they are slurping away, so i figure theyre eating something, and then thats just that much less i have to clean myself.. hehehe

Back