Question about Overflow/Sump

Anthony357

Reefing newb
ok, so i have almost all the parts ready for making this happen, i think...

as for the overflow, what all do i need to get the water out of the main tank and into the sump, just a pvc pipe that leads down to the sump? Or could i get one of those "overflow" things that are already made, and how does it create the flow to go out of the tank? i have heard that you siphon it, and it continuously keeps flowing? is this true? because it just sounds to me that there has to be a better "more reliable" way to keep it flowing, and as for the return pump, does this have to be any specific type of pump? i have a flotec submersible pump, and seeing as the sump is on the ground and it would have to push the water up about 5 feet, but it is rated at 1050gph at 5ft...is that too much? because i was thinking about using pvc pipe to get the water to and from, but i also heard that 1" pvc is only rated at 600gph...could i just use thicker pvc pipe?

any info/insight would be much appreciated, just trying to get all the info in before i go out and buy a bunch of crap that i might not even need...lol

Yes,get an overflow box.
Gravity will bring the water to the sump.Your right,they are not the most ideal way of getting water to the sump.They lose siphon and slowdown from time to time if air gets trapped.The only other option is to buy a tank that has overflows built in or drill the tank.I once ran an external overflow with a aqualifter pump.It keeps air from getting trapped in the U-tube.Some overflows use them and others can be modified to use one.

I'm not familar with the flowtec pump,you will want a ball valve to adjust how fast you want the water to return.I'm not sure that particular pump can handle the pressure so you may have to T if off.One pipe to the display and one to the sump with a ball valve going to the sump.

If the overflow you buy is rated at 600gph,putting a bigger pipe will not make it siphon any faster.Use PVC or tubing that is recommended with that overflow.

Last edited:
Freak has got you covered. You want a return pump to be rated at least 10x the volume of your tank, so if you have a 55 gallon tank, get one that pushes at least 550 gallons per hour.

That return pump may be too powerful, so like Freak said, make a T coming out of it so you can redirect some of the water back to the sump and control the flow.

so for the update...

i just wound up buying a pre made sump box with the baffles and everything already, so now i have the sump box with a overflow that flows into the sump, and i have the remora pro skimmer and heater in the main pit, and then a mag 5 return pump..so far so good..the guy at the LFS that i have come to become friends with said he would exchange the remora skimmer i bought from him for this octopus type one, he said that would be a better one for an "in" sump skimmer...any suggestions if i should exchange it for the new one? or just keep the remora? oh and other question, the return pump i got is fairly loud when its running (which is all the time) and it doesn't sound right, think there is a problem with it and i should try and take it back?

Yeah exchange the Remora with the Octopus.Both are great skimmers but I agree the Octopus is an in-sump skimmer so its a better choice for your situation.

Is the mag use in the sump or out?In sump,it should be very quiet.

yea its in the sump...

i dont know why it is kinda loud, he showed me the exact same setup on one of his display tanks, and it was as silent as can be...

no, it really doesn't matter, i tried even like holding the pump in my hand, so that way its not touching anything, but yet, still is loud...think its maybe just a defective product?

yea, he even showed me the one that he was using, and it didnt even sound like it was on...

im probably going back tomorrow to see about exchaning the remora for the octopus, and i'll take the pump with me and see if he can test it there and see what it does and possibly exchange it...

Back