Question about tank cover

nensley

Reefing newb
I have a generic tank cover. By that I mean, it is just the regular old tank cover with plastic on half where you sit your light and the other half flips open. I hope that makes sense. My light is fine for what I need since I don't plan on adding any corals or anything. But is this tank cover ok or do I need something better? I haven't had any problems but I just want to make sure it will be ok. Should I be keeping it open or closed? Thanks for your help!

From what you are telling us, it sounds fine. The plastic won't melt if your lights are not directly on them and they are not too hot. I would keep the cover closed as much as possible to make sure you are not losing too much by way of evaporation. Since your light is not too strong, it should not make any difference with the water temp having the lid closed.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I agree with Doc. If your worried about evaproration.
But it also does your tank good to be able to breath.So basicaly its up you.Either way is fine.

that is why I like having my sump under my tank - lets the water breathe without tons of evaporation. I keep my tank covered with glass panels on top. Great point Yote, if you do cover your tank, cut the corners out of the plastic on the covers to make sure you get some breathing.

I have a question too. Hope ya don't mind if I butt in for a bit nensley. :D

I have a 30g tall that measures 24x12 on top. I need a CLEAR glass canopy for the top. I've got a 24" Aqualight dual PC light with a single 65w white light and a single 65w actenic light. I ordered a leg kit for it, so that it will be suspended over the top. This is the basic leg kit. (not the fancy kit that allows you to leave the light in place and tilt it up and away for access) I also ordered 2 moonlight LED 1w from Aqualight that will clamp on my 24" fixture.

I'll be using the medium CPR ( Model RF 18 ) refugium that measures 19" long. It will hang on the back of the tank.

I think the back of the tank will have to be open in order to facilitate the intake and output on the refugium. But, I'd like to cover as much of the top as possible to prevent runaway critters and stop excessive evaporation.

Does anyone make glass tops? Should I just go to the local hardware store and have them cut a couple pieces of glass?

I've been told to get "Crystal Clear" type glass because it truly is clear. Most common glass is green if you view it from the end, and I don't want it to change the shade and wavelength of the lights as they penetrate through the top and into the water.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much

If you are dead-set on a cover, you can check with your LFS and have them order you a piece to fit. It doesn't seem like a wild and crazy size and most aquarium manufacturers will find it for you. I haven't found a LFS that stocks glass, but the wait for an order is not too terrible. The green view of the glass doesn't really make THAT much of a difference in lighting refraction or color until you get into a 210 or bigger. the thickness required for that glass does seem to give a green hue. Your tank cover will not make a difference with the lighting you have.

If you have a Petsmart nearby,they should carry All-Glass or Perfecto glass tops.Check with you LFS also,here they carry glass tops in stock.Even the online vendors like Dr. FosterSmith.com and Thatpetplace.com carries the glass tops.BTW,any glass top will cut light somewhat regardless of the tint,even light passing through air.

I have a glass top for my tank. It works great on preventing a ton of water evaporation, unfortunately even with PC lights your tank will still get hot hot hot, trust me, I found out the hard way. Ever since my tank massacre I have left my glass off. I've had to do a ton of top offs but my temp is sooooooooooooooooooooo... much better, it's actually a little cool. But at least I can better regulate my temp with my heater then I would if my glass was on. Also, what fish do you have in your tank. I love the phrase carpet surfing. Firefish especially have been know to hang ten on the carpet. Anyway good luck on your decision.

the glass tops i bought for my tank has a little plastic piece that goes on the back. it can be removed to make room for equipment. i.e. fuges

that is the beauty of having a bigger tank, I can keep my glass top on to keep evaporation to a minimum but the water volume is so great, the PC's don't heat up my water to any problematic number.

i had that problem too about temp..i decided to leave my tanks without hoods, and keep the ligths on stands...better gas exchange, temp etc..i prefeer to deal everyday with evaporation rather than sacrifice inhabitants cause of high temps..

I wouldn't put a glass cover on my tank, unless, like Dr. Marco said, you have a sump/fuge. Not enough gas exchange will occur and it will heat up. If you are worried about jumpers, buy some eggcrate at Home Depot or Lowe's and cut it to fit the top of your tank. It can be found in the lighting section.

I agree with Rigo and Biff.The glass tops will effect your light to some degree.The glass will act like a magnifing glass some what and will hold in some heat.
I'd go the eggcrete route to keep those lil carpet scrubbing critters in check,and just top off every day.

I wouldn't put a glass cover on my tank, unless, like Dr. Marco said, you have a sump/fuge. Not enough gas exchange will occur and it will heat up. If you are worried about jumpers, buy some eggcrate at Home Depot or Lowe's and cut it to fit the top of your tank. It can be found in the lighting section.

Oh I like the eggcrate idea!! :^: I just happen to have some of that too. :D

I am worried about "carpet surfers". These fish are too expensive to "dehydrate" for preservation purposes.

Well there is not hard fast rule here, however, generally you want good air movement at the surface of the water to help expel gases and obsorb oxygen into the water. now if you have a really good protein skimmer you may get all the oxygen into the water you need, however you will generally need air movement at the top of the water collum. If the back strip is removed, you will have plenty of air infiltrating the top of the water collum and you can always put some non metal screen or plastic diffuser to keep fish from jumping out. good luck and hope something here helps.

I have seen poeple use clear plastic mesh with velcrow sowed to the outside edges and velcrow on the lips of the tank and it looks awsome and does the job. They say it works alot better than the egg crate because its clear it wont block any of the light.

Back