Question about tank swapping

LoveJC03

Reef Enthusiast
We've read different articles about swapping tanks, but are unsure about lights during the swap.

Usually everyday 11:30am I turn on actinics, feed fish then turn on daylights. Will it be okay to do this on the day that we swap and then turn the lights back out and take the canopy off when we start taking stuff out? Will this stress or confuse the fish because they are thinking it's night time.. or does it even matter because they'll get stressed when we start moving things anyway?

Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

Does this website pretty much have everything covered on the process?
How to's for moving a aquarium or transferring to a bigger one!! - 3reef Forums

I think that would be fine. People go days without any lights when making changes or combatting algae. Youd be alright...and youre roght your fish will likely already be stressed but their day/night cycle being a little interrupted wont hurt then.

I think that would be fine. People go days without any lights when making changes or combatting algae. Youd be alright...and youre roght your fish will likely already be stressed but their day/night cycle being a little interrupted wont hurt then.

Thanks. So, let's say we start the swap at 2pm and we're done by 7:30-8pm (when we usually feed) can we turn the lights back on and then back off when we go to bed? Our fish won't come out to eat unless the lights are on. Just thinking about it.. they might not even come out to eat... hmm.. I don't know I guess we'll just have to see if they even come out when we turn the lights back on.

Last edited:
I wouldn't turn them back on if it's just going to be for a little bit. Leave the lights off -- that will help them adjust better than turning them back on again (darkness reduces their stress levels -- which is why it's usually recommended to put new additions in the tank when the lights are out). It's okay if they miss a feeding.

Last edited:
I wouldn't turn them back on if it's just going to be for a little bit. Leave the lights off -- that will help them adjust better than turning them back on again (darkness reduces their stress levels -- which is why it's usually recomended to put new additions in the tank when the lights are out). It's okay if they miss a feeding.

Sounds like good advice to me! Thank you so much ;)

Back