Question - fish and lights

beancntr

Back into Salt
I tested my water today (I've been doing it every other day) My ammonia and nitrites are now at zero and nitrates at 10. My PH is 8.3. My ammonia spiked about a week ago and has been coming down since. I took water to my LFS to confirm. Calcium is good as well. What are some good fish to put in to start? I hear all your horror stories about damsels. I eventually want clowns, but I'm afraid to start with them. And does anyone know if you can put black/white clowns with occie clowns? I've heard if you get them at the same time, they will be peaceful together. Another question - does anyone have any experience with the T5 lights from liveaquaria? Are there any other websites you can recommend for lights? I can't find good lights at my LFS's here.

If your tank is done cycling you can put clowns in now. Take it slow though, but add two at once with clown. I dont know if its a good idea to add two different species in a tank your size. If your not wanting to add clowns first then you can go with chromis, there like damsels but not as agrresive.Yote just bought some t-5's from live aquaria so I'm sure he can help wiht that. Yes your right about adding clowns at the same time but I dont know if that goes with different types. Good luck and keep us posted.

T-5s are great lights.
Beancntr,I bought mine from liveaqura.I got the 48" nove extreme 432watt with moon lights for 400 bucks.As for customer service,I had one actenic bulb that was broke,I called them and sent me another bulb next day air at no charge.
Plus the T-5s dont seem to transfer heat into the tank like my PCs do.Or as bad any way.
Hope that helps.

Beancntr,
I am new to this hobby, and maybe you should not take any reccomandations comming from me...lol.... But when my tank was done cycling, I added 2 occelaris clowns (sold to me as perculas), Ivbe had them for over a month now, and they are doing just fine.... Plus clowns looks so pretty....... :) Good Luck with it :)

I found a really cool LFS a little farther away. I ended up getting two chromis. I figured if I could keep those alive for a week, next week I'll get my clowns. Those little suckers are so cute!!
Yote - those are the exact lights I was thinking of getting. I think I will go ahead and order those.

Thanks! And I'll let you know how the fish are doing as soon as I can find them. I released them into the tank and they immediately hid in the rocks.

I was terrified that I'd lost one - it didn't come out for hours. I hated the thought of the poor thing being transfered only to meet his demise. I had turned off my light while they adjusted. One was hanging out towards the top, but the smaller one was no where to be found. Finally the little one came out of nowhere and the two of them are now swimming around one side of the tank. They venture into the middle toward the back, but that's about it. Could my powerhead be too powerful for them to swim the whole tank?

I'm glad there doing good. I doubt your power heads are too strong. What gal per hour are they rated, and how many are there?

Do you only have one? Thats 782 gph which is alot but I would think the fish would go to a more comfortable part of the tank if they didnt like the flow. Is that pump a return or in the tank?

Do you have anyother flow besides the rio? I think they'll be fine, if they didnt like it they would go were less flow is.

No, just the rio. They seem to be feeling more comfortable. They did eat so I'm thinking it's just adjustment.

Biffer - I went to your site for lights. This is going to sound stupid, but the 48" T5 fixture appears to be the same offered by liveaquaria. Any idea why your site is $150 cheaper???? :claphands :claphands

I bought two Clarkii clownfish about 2 wks after adding liverock.,so You should be fine.

As far as mixing clowns I'm not certain.The only clowns that are aggressive to all other clowns are the Maroons,me thinks.

Whats the black and white clowns Bean was you're talking about?Black Saddlebacks or Black Perculas.Black Percs are peaceful to other clowns.

The black percs. That's good to know. I think the combination of the black and orange would look awesome. The chromises are still alive! I tested again this morning and all is still good. They seem to really like the rock. I'm kinda proud they haven't kicked it yet. :)

Chromis are still doing good! We even got brave and added a watchman goby for my husband. I'm testing every day and levels are still all good. However, the goby has retreated underneath a rock and won't come out. I've seen him a couple of times using a flashlight, but my husband is convinced he'll never see his fish again! lol I ordered my lights, the nova extremes and they will be here this week. Won't do anything else for another couple of weeks.

Yes, but the availability of fish here is extremely limited. I haven't seen any. Salt isn't a very big thing here I guess and if I see one more poor volitan lion in a store i'm going to hurl. I figured out that the first LFS I was going to was doubling the price of their fish than any other LFS in the city. While they were helpful at first, they really only want to sell sell sell and take your $$$. I found a better one that is a little farther away, but again, limited selection. It could have been just because it was the weekend. I think I heard that they will special order you stuff and hold it. I can't order fish online because I'm not home during the day. I don't want the poor thing sitting in a box until I can get home.

i had one they made a great pair however not a good Idea if the aquarium is in your bedroom and your trying to sleep they dont call them pistol shrimps for nothing every night it sounded like a 22 going off in my room took some getting use too :D

Back