question on fragging zoas.

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have a small to medium size colony and I'd like to take a couple polyps off and glue then in another spot in my tank. So that they are growing in various spots. My questions is this..I can't take the zoas out of my tank to frag them bc they are on such a large rock and taking the whole rock out would ruin my rockwork. Is it okay for me to just cut a couple polyps off the mother colony underwater in my tank? Then I'd put some super glue on them and stick them where I want. I just want to make sure they aren't going to release some toxin and harm my other corals if I cut the polyps off while in the tank. Thanks :)

I'm no expert on fragging, but it is my understanding that zoas will release toxins when you cut them and for that reason it is not such a good idea to frag them while in the tank. People usually suggest you where eye protection when fragging them out of the tank for the same reason.

I've got the same problem with one of my paly colonies, but eventually i know i'll have to move the rockwork for one reason or another. Just a question of having the time to take the rock out, frag them and redo the rock.

You can cut them in the tank, they wont release enough toxins to hurt anything. But i would suggest trying to peel off some of the mat that they are growing on? together? (im not quite sure how to describe the relationship). That will be easier to glue and will be easier on the zoas.

I wasn't planning on cutting the polyps themselves. Just the mat surrounding them. What I plan on doing is taking a razor blade and cutting around the polyp in a square or circle and then try to lift the edge of the mat up and peel that polyp off. Bc I don't want to just start peeling and then peel off half the colony. I just want a couple. Thanks for the advice. :)

If you have a pair of bone cutter try cutting the rock itself at the edge of the colony. The rock will break as you cut it, then use the razor blade or scalpel to cut the mat attaching them to the colony. Now you have a mini colony already attached to a bit of rock that you can place in another area.

Just dont cut the polyp itself. and if you do its really no biggie IMO. Ive watched a friend of mine rip out a huge rock full of zoa's attached to other rocks and shit oozed all over and nothing happened. Just wash you hand/arm after. Ive cut in my tank and out, If im doing it out of the tank. Gloves/glasses....and keep your mouth shut. =) Oh if your doing in the tank....make sure you dont have any fresh cuts.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm a little bit nervous about it. For some reason I feel I am cutting an animal apart :/ I'm trying to decide if I want to frag or just buy more zoas to put in my bare spots. I think I have to get some different colors. But of course the colors I want are pretty expensive and have to be bought online lol. I want some tubs blue zoas. :)

Why dont you cut your zoas and find someone to trade with? Then you get new zoas with minimal cost? The ability to trade might be my favorite thing about having corals.

Back