question on using ESV bionic 2 part (or Alk in general)

Captain Ron

Reefing newb
My Alk was low a few weeks ago in my 37 gallon tank (I don't have my notes at the moment. I think it was 7) so I dosed baking soda to raise it back up to 9 (my calc was stable at 420). Yesterday I measured 8.15 for Alk and 393 for calc so I decided to start using 2 part. I added 7.5 ml calc to the water in a high flow area in 2 stages (half of 7.5 ml at a time) over the course of ten minutes. Half an hour later I started to add the alk but I noticed a small snowy cloud where I added the solution. The cloud dissipated after 1 literal second. I thought maybe I needed more time so I waited until this morning to add the rest of the 7.5 ml of calc. The same thing happened. I added it drop by drop and after each drop was added a small cloud appeared which dissipated in less than a second. Is this normal behavior? I will test my tank again tonight after I get home to see if the alk or calc changed since my addition of the 2 part. Am I doing something wrong?

-Captain Ron

That's normal for dosing for Alk, but you never want to jump fire than a single dkh per day, and even then you want to do it slowly. Rapid changes in Alk are greats ways to kill coral

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it is normal. I measured today and am now 8.75 and 415 with my magnesium around 1320. I think I will wait a day or two and then measure and dose 7.5ml again (or maybe 5ml) as I am just starting to figure out what to dial in.

Yep, figuring out the proper dose requires some trial and error. If you aren't dosing a ton, you could also consider adding kalk to your top off water if you have an ATO and use a resivour for holding top off water, that way your dosing is automated. As a side benefit, bulk kalk is pretty cheap, a $12 container I bought back in January for my 180 is still almost half full

The white globs/cloud are normal if you dose the saturated solution directly into the tank.

When I need to dose Alk, what I do is dilute the desired saturated amount with half a gallon of RODI water.
This way I avoid the "alk snow" (which my clown tends to mistake for food).
I then pour small portions at different high-flow areas of the tank so that it gets distributed evenly.

If my alkalinity deficiency is significant, I spread the dosage out across several days so the tank's alkalinity goes up gradually instead of spiking.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it is normal. I measured today and am now 8.75 and 415 with my magnesium around 1320. I think I will wait a day or two and then measure and dose 7.5ml again (or maybe 5ml) as I am just starting to figure out what to dial in.

Use those values as your starting point.
Do not dose for a day, and see how much Ca, Alk, and Mg were reduced.
Based on that, you can calculate how much you need to dose regularly in order to maintain your desired levels.

Back