Question: To hot or not enough oxygen?

Aquatic Pet

Reefing newb
So today, I took in a water sample to my LFS. I had the water tested and they said everything looks perfect.

I notice that my little Ocellaris Clown is still just laying on the bottom of the tank. I have literally read hours on the net about this and i am beginning to think it could be low oxygen in the tank due to high heat.

My temp has not came below 81 degrees since i started the tank as high as 84. Today, I went out and bought a new thermometer to make sure it was reading correct and it is fine.

My question is do you think that my little clown may be laying down there because of the heat or because the heat is causing low amounts of oxygen? Any suggestion on lowering my temp in the tank? Could I freeze tank water in a freezer and then put it back in the tank?

if it were low oxygen your clown would be swimming at the top getting air,

DO NOT FREEZE WATER that would shock your animals , get some fans to blow over your tank towards the water that should help, maybe a chiller (thought chillers are expencive)

what kind of lights are you using, how close are they to your tank?

my clown lays on my brain coral most of the day , i need to get him a playmate lol

The lights are Zoo Med Aqua Sun T5 (1 Sun & 1 Coral). This fixture sits on top the tank over a glass tank top. I have read that alot of the clowns act weird, but i think this one is working its way to the promise land. It isnt really looking good. I originally thought it was my water but that was fine, then i thought just in shock from new tank but all my other critters are doing great including his tank mate. Now im thinking its either low DO or temp is too high? I thought if the tank was to hot, she would go to the bottom to find coolness.

how much flow do you have in your tank? Do you have a solid lid on the tank?

Also that is a pretty big swing in temp, 81-82 is fine for a reef tank, but you dont want the temp to change more than 1 or 2 degrees in a day. Do what jcegt87 said and put a small fan blowing across the top of the water to cool to tank.

Also you should buy your own test kit. If you have an emergency when the stores are closed you need to be able to figure out what is going on.

you need to take off the glass top, its restricting gas exchange and could be part of the problem. Its also going to make your tank run hotter as you are seeing.

+1 lil fish...the glass lid may be the problem. Even if you don't want to take the whole lid off, take some off so that the tank can breath, and properly exchange gas.

I have 2 powerheads, one on each side, I have flow from the Protein Skimmer and the filter also puts out current. I dont think that is the issue.

Today, I bought my own test kit. Got everything to test now.

The glass tops I folded over and now half is covered and half isnt. When i take it totally off, the water is splashing up on the light fixture. I now have a fan running across the top. Im hoping this helps. I dont want my lil guy to visit the fish heaven!!!!!

One more thing I did notice is she is breathing very heavy. She is laying in the corner, behind a cave, and grasping for air....or at least it seems that way to me. I also did notice a few little white spots on her head but i dont think its ick. I cant tell if it is stuck to her or if its just the sand from her laying ont he bottom.

I just got back from the LFS and they said that if i treat my tank for ich, that it will kill off all my snails and shrimp? Frustration is really begining to set in. I dont have a QT to spare and i cant treat the entire tank with anything because it will kill off all the snails, crabs and shrimp. What do i do?

I just got back from the LFS and they said that if i treat my tank for ich, that it will kill off all my snails and shrimp? Frustration is really begining to set in. I dont have a QT to spare and i cant treat the entire tank with anything because it will kill off all the snails, crabs and shrimp. What do i do?

They are right, you should read this about ich, i think it will answer most of your questions. But i dont think you have ich, but regardless of the disease the info in the article will hold.

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Yeah, i dont think its ich either. I noticed it looks more like sand on her head from laying in the sand. I posted in another area to get opinions on what could be wrong.

Back