Question!

mono19

Reefing newb
I finally decided it was time to start up a saltwater tank, got everything I needed to set it up well the basics, tank, filters, heater pumps and such, got all those set in and went in to add the water and salt. It's been 3 days now and the water is still cloudy. No idea why. I added some clarify liquid to it and now that made it worse. Any ideas on what to do? Should I just drain the water and start over?

Thanks!

If you mixed the saltwater in the tank, it can take several days for the water to clear. Is it possible you have powerheads kicking up the sand?

Can you list the equipment you are running, i.e. tank, sump, return pumps, powerheads, skimmer...........
I have a feeling that by your term filters, you may have something you don't want in this system.

It can stay cloudy for a few days...Mine did. If you didn't already add them, bags of carbon ore good. That was one of the first things i added. Marineland and few others make these.

You also need a powerhead to circulate water if you don't have already.

Thanks for the replies, right now I'm just running the basics, I got a Marineland Penguin 100B, a underground filter, the underground filter has a carbon head that is running now as well. a top fin powerhead, I haven't picked up a skimmer yet, I was planning on doing that today o the next day. I was told that for such a small tank a sump wouldn't be necessary, is that true? I didn't mix the water in the tank I did that in 5 gallon buckets then put it in.

Well, as I thought you are running freshwater filtration on your tank. Pull all the under gravel stuff out.

How big is your tank?

Really, all you need is water circulation. So with a powerhead, and your penguin 100b, that would be a start. You will have to be diligent on tour water changes though, and keep an eye on the bio wheel.

Ok thanks a bunch for your help, I'm really right now just looking at a basic reef setup, which i know is an oxymoron lol. But I just wanna try it out to see how I like it. Water changes shouldn't be a problem, I've got a 56 gallon planted freshwater aquarium that gets change 25% every week. What do you mean about the bio wheel?

The bio wheel will trap nitrates and such, and will need to be replaced as well, They are made to remove ammonia and nitrates and such, but with a reef tank, they will accumulate gunk and quite functioning.

Sorry I didn't get the filter right either it's a aqua clear power filter...don't know if that makes a difference...

Awesome thanks for the help, you have helped save some stress lol. I will keep you posted on the clearing of the water, should be adding some live rock this weekend when I can make it to the store to get some.

Tank update- after about a week the water had cleared up(Saturday) So I went to the pet store and got some live rock and a mushroom coral to get things started. Got a hydrometer and checked the water and all was a go. They have been in there for about 3 days now and seem to be doing great so far. What do I feed the coral? Doesn't it just skim the water for particles or does it need other sources of food?

Back