Questions about upsizing tank

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
We have a 14 gallon biocube. My son is not fond of the cube. He wants more floor space in the tank. We have 2 clownfish and a yellow clown goby. We do not plan to add any more fish. We are more into corals. Low light corals, mushrooms, zoos, leather. We were looking at some of the kits like Petco/Petsmart carry. Could we get this and upgrade light bulb and add or replace pump. We already have circulation pump.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. The other question is transferring the coral and fish to the new tank. We want to do this RIGHT!!!

Thanks,
Angie

The kits from Petco and Petsmart are for freshwater. You are better off buying a tank and the equipment separate since you would have to re-buy all the equipment anyways (the filtration and lights that they come with wouldn't work for saltwater reef tanks). You can't just upgrade the light bulb -- you would need to replace the entire light fixture with one that is made for saltwater.

What size tank are you thinking of getting?

I like the look of the bowfronts. I want to stay within the range gallon wise of a 30-37. I do not want to have to get into a chiller. We thought about a refugium, but I am not sure about that.
I need wisdom here. I thought of getting a tank from craigslist and then buy the filter, redo the lighting if necessary. My husband can do that and did on our Biocube 14.
Thanks for your help.

Hardly anyone needs a chiller. There's maybe one person on this site that uses one. Chillers are not required at all for larger tanks. If you can find a nice tank on Craig's List, that can save you a ton of money. You may also be able to find a lot of good deals on used equipment on there, depending on how busy your area is. If you can, I'd say to go with a drilled tank so you can have a sump and refugium. It makes tank maintenance so much easier and keeps your water healthier.

Check with petco they are running there $1/gallon sale I believe. Look at a 40g breeder and 20g long. That should give you a lot of space for coral.

Back