quick lighting question

dannyboy

PLUHH
I did search for this answer but was taking too long. I have 2 nova extreme T5 HO fixtures, whats the best amount of hrs per day to leave the 10k lights on, and same with the blues? Thanks

It depends on your tank. With mine, I leave mine on for 10 hours for my anemone. If you have no corals or anemones, then less would probably be sufficient and would cut down on algae growth

My actinics are usually on for about half an hour after, simply for viewing purposes. Then those go off and I turn the LED night light on for an hour or so. Then that goes off for the night.

I also don't feed a lot. so my nitrates are low. That's how I cut down on algae growth with leaving lights on for 10.5 hours a day.

I think actinics for an hour before and after with daylights on for 10 hours. So 12 total. If you start to see an increase in algae growth just adjust an hour from full power. I think the hour of actinics each end give the coral some time to open and close.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't leave the actinics on all day. The cycle I started with was Actinics on at 10am, Actinics and Daylight on at 11am, Daylights off at 9pm, Actinics off at 10pm. That gives you 12 total hours of light with only 10 hours of both in the middle. This would also give your aquarium 12 hours of no light unless you had one on a sump. If 12 hours seems to be too much and you have too much algae growth then you can take the actinics back to 11 hours and daylight down to 9 with the same type of schedule.

I tend to have mine come on later in the day that way their on when I'm home. Since I work during the day I don't want the tank on all day while I'm gone so thats why I do 10 - 10. Try to pick a time when you'll be able to enjoy the tank.

My friend at my LFS was telling me about an article he had read about shorter lighting periods being overall better for the reef tank. Before talking with him, I had begun trying this in my tank, because for one I was definitely leaving my lights on too long and growing algae in my tank.

Now I run my actinics 8 hours and daylights for 6 hours. Actinics on 1 hour before and 1 hour after the daylights.

I have experienced more coral growth and less algae.

HTH,
Angie

No I wouldn't leave the actinics on all day. The cycle I started with was Actinics on at 10am, Actinics and Daylight on at 11am, Daylights off at 9pm, Actinics off at 10pm. That gives you 12 total hours of light with only 10 hours of both in the middle. This would also give your aquarium 12 hours of no light unless you had one on a sump. If 12 hours seems to be too much and you have too much algae growth then you can take the actinics back to 11 hours and daylight down to 9 with the same type of schedule.

I tend to have mine come on later in the day that way their on when I'm home. Since I work during the day I don't want the tank on all day while I'm gone so thats why I do 10 - 10. Try to pick a time when you'll be able to enjoy the tank.

Your kind of confuseing me... You said you wouldn't leave the actinics on all day but you your self do leave them on all day?

Sorry to confuse you. I thought you meant 24 hours when you said all day. Yes leave them on for the entire time your lights are on but not for 24 hours a day.

Just actinic - actinic/daylight - just actinic - off - repeat

Back