Quick Power Head Question ... Koralia #3

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I feel like I should be able to figure this out, but I'm really not certain. I just put in another 19 lbs if dry rock. I already had 40 pounds of dry rock, plus three pounds of live rock (I'll be putting some in a future sump/refugium with skimmer - yet to be purchased). Now I'm looking at adding corals within six weeks (still working on the hyposalinity). Before I add corals, I want to make sure I have enough flow.

I have a Koralia #2 power head (recommended by Biffer - Thanks! - smart recommendation). I am able to get a Koralia #3 for under $35, including shipping (can't get them at all locally). The #3 runs at 800 gph (the #2 runs at 600 gph). I want to keep both high flow and low flow corals in the tank soon. Would a #3 be too much?

Thanks for any advice.

Where are you getting the #3 so cheap?? ;)

Personally I would say go for it. There will always be 'dead spots' that you can put lower flow corals. Plus you can point them at eachother (or something similar) and create some chaotic flow...

Cool! I'll go forward with it - it's ebay. Turns out it is an auction, but I'll go with $25 plus $8 shipping. I won't go further with an ebay item. I can spend another $8 - $10 without the hassle of auctions and get a #2. An E-bay store happens to have the #3's, but no #2's. I bought the last one off ebay and hope this one will be just as good. It's new, in box.

Last edited:
In that case, I think I'll skip the #2 regardless of price and go with the #3. I hope to create a little more flow with the return from a sump, but that won't have that in for a while.

you can get a good blasting effect if you put the koralia on the back of your tank and aim it right at your front glass, that way it bounces of your glass and gives some flow to some dead spots in the rocks

you can get a good blasting effect if you put the koralia on the back of your tank and aim it right at your front glass, that way it bounces of your glass and gives some flow to some dead spots in the rocks

Think that would work with a bow front tank?

The bidding on E-bay went up. I'm not one to get caught trying to one-up bids. I've seen people pay way too much because they get caught up in the process. However, due to all the assistance here, I will move forward with purchasing a #3. It just won't be through an E-bay auction.

I bought all my Koralia's on Ebay from Aloha Aquariums.. I shopped long and hard for the best delivered price, and this place had it. I don't know your Zip, so I can't tell your shipping, but the price on the #2 is $25.69, and the #3 is $28.49. Shipping to Pa. was $8. I would think upstate NY would be about the same

Back