Quick Question on Salinity

blando

Reefing newb
Hey guys if the salinity is say little bit higher to reduce it would u just take some water out and add some RO water back until it is at the right Salinity? Also seem im leaving for a bit and GF is watching the fish (oh GOD) lol im leaving some buckets of RO water for her to add when water gets low. Can i add the salt to it and have it measured to where i want it for her? Because she doesnt know how to do that i already tried to explain it and yea no luck lol.. And if i can when adding it to the tank will it cause the salinity in the tank to increase?

If you salinity is high you can add fresh RO water like you said but do it slowly. Changing the salinity of your water too quickly can result in very stressed fish and corals.

Also, you should be topping off your tank with fresh RO water when the water gets low due to evaporation. Leave the water for her but do not put any salt in it. When water evaporates, the salt is left behind. This means that when the water in your tank is evaporated you have a higher salinity. If you add salt water to the tank to top it off you are going to slowly increase your salinity to unsafe levels. Always top off with fresh water.

Ahhhh thats why then why it got high thanks man i was wondering why it got high so ill just add RO to it thanks :)

Glad I could help! Just remember to bring the salinity down slowly so the fish don't get shocked from the sudden change.

Back