Quick question

kyle

Reefing newb
is it possable to run to much carbon? if so how much, is to much and when do you know when your running to much??

is it possable to run to much carbon? if so how much, is to much and when do you know when your running to much??

Carbon strips nutrients out of the water. It also strips out poisons. :mrgreen:

I try to run some carbon for 24 hrs a few times per month. I've just purchased a little HOB canister to make life easier.

I don't think there is a definite answer to your question.Carbon does remove the bad(organic and inorganic waste) but it also strips the system of trace elements.It's common practice today to run carbon on a part time basis.I myself run it one week out of the month.It keeps the fish tank from smelling fishey.Some people still run carbon continiously while others don't use any at all with no problems.

Unless you're running a tank full of SPS, you really don't need water that's completely stripped of all organic nutrients and nitrates.

A lot of our corals are photosynthetic. They have algae in their bodies that turns light into useful energy via photosynthesis. What do plants (algae) use as a source of food? Nitrates.

That's why we use macroalgae such as cheatomorpha and calurpa in our refugiums. The algae will absorb excess nitrates and phosphates from the water. Once a month, you cut it back and keep on reefing.

Those little algae in the body of your corals can use nitrates too. They absorb organic nutrients from the water column.

You still don't want a bunch of nitrates in your reef. I'm not saying that. Just that a small amount of dissolved organics in the water ain't bad. It's gonna happen anyway. We just skim it out and filter it out.

I've been doing all kinds of experiments with my skimmer lately. I used to run it 24/7 as efficient as I could get it. Daily maintenance to keep it cranking as hard as it could go. Then I tried just running the skimmer only at night, when the corals are retracted and "sleeping". Then I tried running it 24/7 but less efficient. I'd let the salt creep build up on the air intake and slow down the flow of microbubbles in the skimmer. Once a week, I'd clean it out. Didn't like that. Salt creep builds up a LOT in a week. I'd have to ream it out with a metal rod. If I blow a turkey baster of RO water through the intake tube every day, I don't have to take it off more than once every 6 weeks for a thorough cleaning. I've gone back to running the skimmer as efficient as I can get it 24/7. I feed HEAVY and I squirt all my corals with food daily. I empty my skimmer cup once or twice a week.

IMHO, a good skimmer is MUCH more important than any chemical filtration.

Are you running a biocube or some other type of "factory" aquarium? Or did you put this system together?

What are you wanting to do with the carbon? Do you have nitrate problems? Water clarity problems?

no im not running any factory aquarium. im having a little problem with nitrates, and im not really having clarity problems. im just running carbon filter floss. it was just a question that popped in to my head

I used to run carbon 24/7 but stopped and now i dont use it at all unless something might require me to do so. I dont think its necessary but its good to have some carbon handy just in case.

Kyle,

The nitrates could be a result of the Rena XP2 you are running.
I have the same issue with nitrate spikes in my 30g. I use an Eheim canister filter without a skimmer.

I will be adding a skimmer soon and taking the canister out of the loop since I have organic filtration with my liverock & sand.

i took my canister filter off for like a month. I did a couple of water changes and they were still at 20 ppm,the last time i did a water change i tested like 20 min after and they were still at 20 percent. i only have 3 fish 2 crabs and a shrimp. i dont think i over stocked. i think im going to go buy a new drip test kit. what are your guys thoughts on API test kits

Back