Quick question

Clams are big and have a wavey mantle(tricanid clams anyway) scallops have almost tentacle like mantles. search flame scallop and tricanid clams big difference.

Scallops are pretty, but I've never had the desire to try and keep one because of their dismal survival rates. I just see no point in buying an animal that I am 99.9% sure will die quickly in my tank. I know that someone else will just end up buying it, and it will end up dying anyways, but I choose not to have a part in that.

You feed scallops the same way you feed any filter feeder. They are not easy to keep alive, but are just as easy as keeping sponges alive. Usually requires feed living food, but if you are keeping SPS you will be feeding the same foods anyway. Filter feeders are filter feeders.

is this a scallop?

Scallop001.JPG

mussel eh. the only reason i asked it cuz i got some zoas the other day and there was 2 "mussel thingys" on it

yeah i would be willing to bet that mine is a mussel cause it just showed up in my tank and i haven't been caring for it. if it were a scallop it would have been dead long ago if there as hard to keep alive as everyone says.

the last time i added anything to my tank other than fish was probably 6 months ago atleast and those were very small frags and the "mussel" hasn't always been where it is now. it's just recently showed up there so im assuming it's just been hiding since i added the live rock when i first setup the tank.

Back