Quick Question

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So you guys as some of you may know i recently added a Atlantic Blue Tang to my tank and everything seemed ok for the first week. He was biger than the rest of my fish so my fish did not even pick on him. Well a couple days after i introduced him to the tank he started showing agresion tords my blue jaw. Now hes messing with all my fish and the only one holding his own is the yellow tang. So yesterday i seen him picking at my sailfin and trying to fight with my yellow tang some more. Then i looked closer and seen a white spot on my yellow tang and a couple on the forhead of the Blue Jaw.

Needless to say i caught him and now he is in my sump. Yellow tang and sailfin have recovered from ich in the past so im hoping with out the stress of the ABT picking on them they recover again.

Anyways already have a buyer for the ABT tommorow. Wich sucks couse i really love the fish.

Well i guess that wasnt quick Sorry guys but here my question.

If and when my fish recover I was maybe thinking of getting another ABT but smaller in size, Maybe a bit smaller than my Sailfin. Do you guys think this is a good idea ?? Was thinking maybe if its smaller it will be better since the resent one was about 2 inches bigger than my Yellow tang.

I figured since my fish did not show any agreesion tords the ABT a smaller one would be ok couse he wont turn against the bigger fish Hopefully.

If not what other fish would you guy recommed ??? Reef safe.

I kind like the Horn Box fish but hear they a really hard to keep.

I like Heniocus but i know its a pain to actually find the reef safe ones.

So yeah let me know what you guys think

Thanks.

You know, it's been my experience that with fish personalities, it's always a crapshoot.

I, personally, would not get a boxfish....if they get stressed, they release toxins. Would you risk the other fish picking on him just once and having him kill them all off?

Is your tank still the 125 in your sig, or 180 or 380 or something? The horn boxfish needs 250 according to liveaquaria. I couldn't remember your tank size.

The ABT is an Acanthurus tang, it doesn't really matter what size it is, it will want to be boss fish. Usually there is aggression for the first few days until a pecking order is sorted out between the fish. A smaller ABT won't help you here. My Acanthurus was literally a quarter of the size of my other tangs and he did the same thing yours did

Yeah i still have the 125 yeah well what do you think about a smaller abt. Since my fish did not really show aggression when.i added the other one. Hes the one that went evil since he was the biggest. Maybe a smaller one ?

Yeah i still have the 125 yeah well what do you think about a smaller abt. Since my fish did not really show aggression when.i added the other one. Hes the one that went evil since he was the biggest. Maybe a smaller one ?

See my post above, with any Acanthurus tang, the size probably isn't going to make much of a difference, you'll need to keep an eye on them for the first few days. Re-arranging the rocks and hanging a mirror on part of the tank may help

I agree with North about the acanthurus tangs, but there are some that are more peaceful than others. Mimics and the fowleri are on the more peaceful end of the spectrum, while sohals and achilles are on the more aggressive end of the spectrum (sounds like the ABTs are on that end as well). I do think size matters in this case and that a tang that is closer in size the yellow and sailfin will help. I also think that individual fish temperment makes a difference. My concern with trying a smaller ABT is that you would need to find one that is small enough but not still a juvenile. I think I'd personally wait for an upgrade to get another ABT. You could try a mimic tang, but something other than the lemonpeel mimic as two yellow-colored tangs will fight. You could also try a hippo tang. From what I've heard they are on the more peaceful end of the spectrum and would likely be okay for a period of time in your 125 given that you are upgrading to a larger tank.

And for what its worth, I'm sorry it didn't end up working out with the ABT :(

Yeah kinda makes me want to take out the 280 from.storage lol. I might try a abt around the same size as my other guys. Well i have a couple month to think about it. Let my guys chill and hopefully recover.

Well tje abt is off to.his new home. A200 gl with onky a couple fish. Sounds good for him. Hopefully my fish recover soon.

Back