Quick Skimmer Question

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Can Anyone Explain To Me About "break In" Of The Skimmer...
Just A Little Confused. Why Would In Take A Week Or So To Break In?
Or When Can You Tell By Looking At The Skimmer If It Is Broken In?
Thanks

The needle wheel needs to build up a little bit of gunk on it,I guess.And the reason I say that is because when I cleaned the needle wheel,I had to let it break in again.
With your skimmer,it'll probably be broke in after a couple of days.If I remember right,the directions say 72 hours.
But a week a good all around safe bet.

I'm not actually sure why either.I've had cheap skimmers that took weeks and others just a day or two.Maybe it needs time for the ''protein'' to latch on to the microbubbles or is that vice-versa?

There are electrostatic elements involved due to the plastic units material of construction. Surprisingly I have found it takes longer for extruded plastic skimmers to start working than it takes for cell cast plastic. Homemade PVC units often start working efficiently within 24 hours. Also it is best not to scrub a skimmer when cleaning it, just wipe with a wet cloth not a dry cloth and clean no more than what you have to. IE do not clean body, just throat and collection cup. It is actually better to clean with chemicals than with a scrubbing pad or rag. Clean is strong concentration of Hydrochloric acid and water, rinse then clean with strong concentration of Drano (sodium Hydroxide) and rinse. Use a soft paint brush to clean with instead of scrubber or rag. Even Coraline algae will come off quick with Hydrochloric acid. If your skimmer is exposed to bright lights, cover the clear plastic parts up to cup with black plastic trash bag material to prevent Coraline and other algae growth.

I only clean my skimmer by wiping the neck and collection cup down with a paper towel. I do not use any chemicals or scrub it.

I had always thought that the reason a skimmer needed time to break in was because the hydrophobic and amphipathic molecules attach themselves to the oil in the pump rather than the water/air mixture. After a certain amount of time the oils break down and the organics are pushed out of the water rather than attach to the oil. But I have been known to be wrong, lol.

I had always thought that the reason a skimmer needed time to break in was because the hydrophobic and amphipathic molecules attach themselves to the oil in the pump rather than the water/air mixture. After a certain amount of time the oils break down and the organics are pushed out of the water rather than attach to the oil. But I have been known to be wrong, lol.
What oil? Are you speaking of oil coming from some where in the production process that it is present on the plastic when put into operation? The hydrophobic and hydrophillic aspect of molecular electronic attraction I understand, but why would either the polar or non polar domains of the dissolved organics be attracted to a long chained hydrocarbon like an oil product? Or are you talking about dissolved organics being electronically attracted to a carrier oil already present as part of an organic breakdown and somhow that attraction has to be overpowered? Different fields of chemistry approach things in different ways. I do not have any experience or education in biochemistry where ampphipathic seems to be common terminology. Just, general, organic and inorganic.

so I am trying to keep all my threads together and apologize in advanced if I make to many......
SO since this is my skimmer thread I will ask another skimmer question.
Does everyone turn the skimmer off when feeding or just leave it run????
thank you

I just let mine run. I don't turn anything off during feeding. The powerheads blow the food around and the fish chase it, just like it was alive in the wild. It's recommended to turn pumps off when feeding certain corals or fish that may be slow feeders, but I don't have any that need it.

I cut my circulation down by half for 30 minutes, but leave the skimmers running. I shut down a closed loop circulation pump down, not the pump feeding my sump or my skimmers. I still supply 10 X through the sump 60 percent of which goes through the skimmers skimmers and leave a 12 X closed loop circulation pump running therefore 22 X running. I shut down a Dart pump on a closed circulation loop. I feed 1 to 2 hours after shutting all lights but lunar lights off.

i am getting this kinda air surge through my skimmer output... sort of like a coffee maker sound????? i try to adjust but seem to do it no matter what I do ??? Any suggestions??? i also put a small amount of black diamond in the output cup , will this cause any trouble??? thanks in advanced

About the only way I've found to stop that noise is to raise the outflow tube just above the water line.It does that when air builds up inside the tube and then gets pushed out by the water.

Back