Qusetions about 135 stocking...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
So right now,I have 2 eels and a coral beauty... I am going to pick up 2 yellow stripe maroon clowns, but I really want to stock up on some tangs... Is 3 too much in the 135... I have my heart set on a clown tang... Any negatives on this fish... Also, everything I read about the tangs I wanna keep, tell me they are all very territorial, such as a Sohal, Vlamingi, and Achielles... Can I keep more than one clown tang, or will they continue to fight it out? I might just pick up a blonde naso and a clown... Also any thoughts on running a UV steralizer off and on to help with parasites... I know quite a few reefist who use them intermitely to fight off disease...

Ok...It seems the naso needs more like 180 gallons, the clown seems extremelu difficult to keep and the achielles seem to not live long... Any other thoughts?

naso will do fine in your tank. the main thing is it really needs 6 feet of tank to swim so if you had a 90 gal or something like that it would rapidly outgrow it because they grow really fast. The naso family are actually a really peaceful fish. like i have a "bignose unicornfish" Naso vlamingii and i could (from what im told not experience) easily put a naso in there nad they would get along quite well. since that fish is definately too big for your tank i would say get a naso and find another more peaceful tang and you should be good. Im not too sure what to suggest right now but naso tangs are peaceful

Clown tangs do not do well in new tanks. I tried one in my 240, and it didn't even last a week :(. If I were you, I would not get a clown tang for a 3 month old tank. They are not hardy fish at all and are very difficult to keep.

Achilles tangs are probably the most difficult of all tangs to keep. I wouldn't even dare trying.

About having three tangs in a tank your size... I'm not so sure you can pull that off. Until a few days ago, I had a yellow tang and a yellow eyed kole tang in my 240 with no problems. Then I added a sailfin tang. And they've been fighting nonstop. I can't seem to make three tangs in a 240 work, so I doubt you could pull it off in a tank half that size, unless you chose the species very carefully.

If you do get more than one, do not get more than one of the same genus. Look up the species of each one, and, for example, do not get more than one Zebrasoma tang. The closer related tangs are, the more they will fight.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to add three tangs to my system too Ct.

I'm going to introduce them all together instead of one at a time.Maybe that way they can't stake territory.Doc once mentioned to get one from each of the family of tangs.Say one each from Ctenochaetus,Acanthurus,Naso,Zebrasomas family.

I'm going,as of right now.....
Blue Eye Kole-Ctenochaetus
Desjardini and Purple-both Zebrasoma species.I'm going to add a larger Desjardini and a much smaller Purple since the Purple is the more aggressive tang.So where am I going with this?Start either with one of the more docile species/family or introduce all at the same time.I'm sure Doc will be here with his advice(he has been post happy lately).

One more thing....I think you should be okay witha naso.Get a small one and it would take a long time before it outgrows your tank.A very docile,peaceful tang.

Back