Radiant Wrasse!

pinstripes

Reefing newb
I just got a radiant wrasse a couple of days ago and hes still burried in the sand. How long will he stay in there before hes comfortable? Nobody has harassed him yet. I have had bad luck with these fishes and should I leave it alone in the sand?

pin:bounce:

The thing is in the marine fish industry the fish are usually at the distribution center for less than a week before the go to your home or lfs. So the go from the ocean to a traumatic flight to the dist center. The distribution places usually have rows of tanks much like in a lfs except there is typically no substrate and no rocks just glass. Then they make it to your tank and have more additional adjusting to do.

Long story short, if you still see him scootin around and hiding and such give it a week or two and he should be happy. It took a week for my sohal to come out of hiding and my queen angel refused to eat for 9 days!!! Be patient with him and take pics when he's happy!

i have to agree with alexander, that fish was swimming happily in the ocean a week ago and now he is in your tank half way around the world. just give him time to adjust on his own and he will be fine

Leave him alone. let um adjust to the new environment on his own. once acclimated and adjusted, he will come out. ( I added one to my system and later added two more, only one/the first one, survived) i still have the original one now going on a year and half.

I think I figure out why he hasnt come out yet. I have a saddleback clown and allens dottyback that love to bully any wrasses, anthias and angelfish. I recently got a Velvet wrasse and a sunburst and once they were accimilated , they were attacked repeatedly by the clown and dottyback. little mofos! I got the velvet and sunburst out of there and put them in a peaceful tank and they are getting along. Just a few minute ago, I had to get my Radiant out of the sand because I know the saddleback clown would attack him. The radiant has a swollen eye and looks out of shape and I have him in a breeder's net to see if he can make it through the night. DAMN!

I had no idea you had a dottyback. you have to be really careful what you add to that tank. those fish can be really big jerks

Back