Raising Calcium Levels

I would start by checking the calcium content of your salt mix. Some salts like the instant ocean have less calcium in them then others like the IO reef crystals. Personally I'd rather try other solutions if I can before dosing my tank.

You were right, Brian. I use Seachem Reef Salt, and I just tested the Calcium levels of the salt mix and found that it was low at 360ppm as well. What is weird is that I have tested the calcium in another bucket of Seachem Reef Salt (3 months ago) and the Calcium was at 420ppm. I'm at the bottom of the current Seachem Reef salt mix bucket, does that matter?

I bet you didnt roll the bucket around some before using it.:D
When you get a new bucket,roll it around before using to mix your water.That way your parameters will be more constant.

I bet you didnt roll the bucket around some before using it.:D
When you get a new bucket,roll it around before using to mix your water.That way your parameters will be more constant.

Good to know, I wasn't even aware of that.

You were right, Brian. I use Seachem Reef Salt, and I just tested the Calcium levels of the salt mix and found that it was low at 360ppm as well. What is weird is that I have tested the calcium in another bucket of Seachem Reef Salt (3 months ago) and the Calcium was at 420ppm. I'm at the bottom of the current Seachem Reef salt mix bucket, does that matter?
What brand test kit are you using? You should be getting around 540 ca with Seachem Reef.

As far as rolling the salt in the bucket....I never did it in the 20 yrs I've been reefkeeping and I never saw a difference in parameters from when I 1st open the bucket to when the bucket was finished. Besides, if you only roll it how does that move what is supposedly at the top to the bottom? Just my :twocents:.

If you do need to dose, which you shouldn't with that particular salt, get Kent Turbo Calcium. It's a dry calcium chloride and it's alot cheaper than the liquid stuff...which is the same thing except the manufacturer already adds the water and charges you for it. ;)

What brand test kit are you using? You should be getting around 540 ca with Seachem Reef.

I'm using API's Calcium Test Kit. I was worried that my test kit could be bad, but API has never let me down. I ordered a new one though yesterday just in case. Have you heard bad things about API's test kit?

I'm using API's Calcium Test Kit. I was worried that my test kit could be bad, but API has never let me down. I ordered a new one though yesterday just in case. Have you heard bad things about API's test kit?

Im personally not a fan of API calcium tests, I use them week to week because they are cheaper, and when i see something is off, I then test with Salifert or Tropic Marin. But thats just me. The TM and Salifert test kits are rather expensive. And If you search Calcium and Randy Holmes Farley on google then you will find many ways to dose different parameters in your tank very cheaply.

I use his recipe for mag and Dow flake to raise my calcium when raising my cal and mag in my water change water before adding it to my DT.

wow i never knew people were able to get away without adding calcium and just relying on water changes :o
i dose 3 times a week with seachem powder calcium.
thanks for the tip on shaking the bucked bifferwine :)
if u need to dose i would recomend seachem, but that is just me, everyone has there own brand they like. and i am not a fan of api as well, it is not reliable. a good calcium test may be a little more expensive but will deliver accurate results sutch as tropic marin, but i guess u dont need to be 100 % accurate inlesss u are keeping real calcium demanding species. this is just my opinion though and the more experienced people would shure know more that me :p

Back