random white things?

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
Hello all,

As you know i had my flatworm problem and that is on a rock that has been in quarenteen since i got it and it was not placed into my actual tank... But i have now noticed in my large tank little white bug like creatures, they aren't the little sea squirt things. I believe they may be a larve/adult stage of a copepod but are about the size of a grain of table salt. there are tons of them all over one of my live rocks and the glass of my aquarium. i dont see them crawling on any of my fish/critters/other items, just the rock and glass... these just appeared within the hour as i've been showing it off to my friend who was over about 20 mins ago and we didnt see these at all. I walked into the room and noticed them... any idea what they could be? I don't need or want any parasites in my tank as i would be at a loss of what to do (and i currently have no funding coming in to go out and buy more meds for my fish, plus i can't use things with copper because of the clowns) i haven't added anything into my tank without quareteen so i know its not from me adding in something new...

I will post a picture and video tomorrow morning but i thought i would post real quick to see if i could get some suggestions on what they are and what to do. they appear to jump around on the glass rather than swim.

5757arethesepods_thumb.jpg

this is not a photo of my tank but exactly what they look like :)

Last edited:
Hard to tell from your pictures but they look like common 'pods to me. I don't have any in my current tank but used to have pods in a previous tank that looked and acted the same way - thousands would cover everything in the tank. They would move around surprisingly fast. Mine would only appear in a dark tank and would go into hiding within minutes of the lights coming on. They are harmless and in many cases desireable. Many critters eat them and the 'pods likely eat waste material in your tank. I'm not aware of any tank parasites which appear in large numbers like your picture. I'm going with harmless 'pods........

Back