Rcchanlder's 29 gal Build

The rebuild after the UGF removal. Ammonia= 0 , Nitrite= 0, Nitrate< .25, pH; 7.8<>8.4. The white bacteria Bloom seems to be dissipating

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
its been up for 3 weeks now i think. Ive only got like 7 lbs of LR but i was thinking of getting more when i can sell my school books back

You really need a lot more liverock than that. about 1-2lbs/gallon. that is your source of filtration so as it stands you have a new system with minimal filtration on a biological level and a fish that should not have been added yet. im not trying to be mean, just really advising that you try to get some more rock in there asap for the sake of your new friend.

yeah, i know. i was thinking of getting it off line but i dont necessarily want $100 worth. i Was thinking of ordering from floridaliverock.com

Since you already have a fish,DONT order rock online unless you can set up something to cure it in.The die-off on shipped rock will cause a heck of an ammonia spike.
The thing to do,is come into Bermuda when you get the chance and get some live rock and some base rock.Tell whoever happens to be there that you need one of the shipping styros for the rock and that you've to haul it to Cookeville.Tell em Joe said to ask about the styro.

12.99 a pound for the live and 2.50 I think for base.
Its expensive,but your getting rock that has all kinds of life on it.90% of it has live corals hitch hiking on it.

How bad would the die off on the shipped rock be if i overnighted the premium coralline from floridaliverock.com. I dont want to kill my fish but i also cant afford $200 of live rock.

Most of the time,the dieoff will be pretty bad when rock is shipped,UNLESS,they pack it to stay good and wet.Most online places will just stick the rock in a styrofoam cooler with some damp news paper throwed over it.
Theres a couple of things you can do.
#1 Invest in some dry base rock.A little over half my rock was dry base,that I've added over time.Just go roughly 1/2 base and 1/2 live.
#2 Pick up a couple of good sized rubbermaid totes,a couple of cheap powerheads,and a couple of small heaters.That way you can get rock online and cure it before it goes into your tank.You basically cure the rock the same way you cycle the tank.Just put it in the tubs with saltwater,add the powerheads to move the water,and the heater to keep it warm.When theres no ammonia or nitrites,the rocks ready to be moved to your display.

The brake away from my tank is killin me. 3 days down and 2 to go. When i get back to the tank im planning to add a small six line wrasse and a small Hi Fin Goby.

yeah, i topped it off really well before i left and fed her. I may bring in some more live rock and hermit crabs as well on thurs

well, the sixline wrasse, blackray goby, 10 hermit crabs, and 3lbs of LR are in the water. The clown fish was fine after being gone for 6 days or so.

Back