Rcpilot - 29g Frag Tank

Thanks James!!

So whats the right way to do it? Long tank or tall tank for the sump?

Seams like long gives ya more room to stretch out and put baffles in. Every bubble trap costs ya 2 1/4" of linear space.

So my wife just came and said to me.

"Ya know, you originally started this project with the intention of using all the equipment you have on hand. The goal was to get this new frag tank up and running on a shoestring budget. But now you've refined the design to make it easier to build and cheaper to build, but you are STILL wanting to spend money on a sump tank that you don;t have AND a water pump that you don't have.........."

Me: :grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble:

"You have the 90g tank just sitting there collecting dust. Can't you just set that up and use the 29g tank for the sump instead? Then you'd just need a water pump."

I'm gonna sell her to buy the lights and water pump. :mrgreen: :grumble: Such a tease.

Would be nice, but TOTALLY not practical right now.

Last edited:
I'm hunting craigslist for a sump locally. Have popped off a few emails to people with free tanks, but no responses yet. Can get a new 20L or a 20H for $10, but I have to drive 40 miles round-trip to get it. Hardly seams worth it when they can be had at Petco for $20.

:bounce:

Would be nice, but I can't afford it.

Might have a line on a free 30L for a sump. That'll do donkey, that'll do. :mrgreen:

We'll see if the guy comes through.

The reef gods are smiling on me today.

Just picked up a brand new 20L -- FREE!! :bounce: Friend of a friend. It was sitting in his garage for a couple years and it's covered in dust, but still has the factory stickers inside. He lives 6 blocks from my place. Pulled up in the driveway, he says, "Pop the trunk." He dropped it in the trunk, shook my hand and thanked me!! He just wanted it out of his garage. Can't beat that. I was like _Thanks man., You want some cash? He said he was happy to just get rid of it to somebody who wanted it.

We got a sump!!

Last edited:
that is a great deal. i just called a lady that had a 25gal for free in the paper but no luck 5 min before i called someone else got it.

Do I need tempered glass for the baffles? Me thinks -- NO.

Let's say I just use regular old glass. Would 1/8" be thick enough?

The local Ace Hardware has "double strength" glass 1/8" thick and would charge me about $3.50 per each 12x12 piece.

:confused:

Does this work?

The right side is the overflow from the tank. The left side is my return pump.

The red box is my HOB refugium and skimmer that I still plan to use. It'll pick up in the sump and dump back into the overflow area - that way any microbubbles will get eliminated in the bubble trap.

How high should I run that second baffle - the one on the left side? That baffle height determines my sump water level. AND, any extra space left at the top of the sump will handle overflow in the event of a power failure. I need a cushion at the top of the sump so the tank can drain until it gets below the overflow teeth when/if power goes off.

This tank is 30L x 12W x 12H. I'm thinking I make the first compartment on the left 12" wide. Kill an inch with the baffle. That gives me 18" of sump. If I run the baffle 8" high, that gives me a sump measurement of 18L x 8H x 12W (approx 7.5g)

That leaves 4" of space at the top of the tank for overflow.18L x 12W x 4H = 3.75g of overflow space.

Attachments

• 20g Sump.jpg
    20g Sump.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
You cant beat that price:D
On those baffles,I'd install the first one from tight against the rim to 2" above the bottom glass.The secone baffle would come up from the bottom glass a little more than haff way up.That would give you plenty of room in case of power outage or pump failure.

Okay, so the second baffle is 7" tall then. The tank is 12" tall.

If the first compartment is 12" wide, thats a 12x12x12 portion and would be about 7.5g if it was all the way full.

With 18L x 12W x 7H thats a sump volume of about 7.5g That gives me 4.5g of overflow room -- IF that right side chamber is already full - which it won't be. So maybe 6g or 6.5g of total overflow before it becomes a disaster.

Thanks Yote and Daugherty!! :Cheers:

Back