Rcpilot - 29g Frag Tank

Got the new 175w bulb in the mail today. It's one of those $10 ebay bulbs from hobbylighting. Supposed to be 14k. This is the first time ever firing it off my old Custom Sea Life ballast.

Edit:
I have no idea if this is a pulse start ballast, or magnetic or electronic. It's old and it's from custom SeaLife. Got it cheap with the mogul, ballast, cords and enough aluminum to make my own reflector.

So do these things take awhile to warm up and come to full brightness? It seams to be getting brighter and brighter with each passing minute.

How do I know if it's the correct ballast? How do you know if the light requires pulse start or electronic ballast?

Or:

Who cares, it fires and it's putting out light - don't worry about it?

Attachments

• IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
when i first fired up my mh it took about 10 minutes to get to full power. Now it is much faster. I think they have to kinda break in first. I have no idea about the balast question so I will go with who cares it looks bright on the pictures. :D

I really think that all that matters is that the Watts on the light and ballast match.

Also, if you have to turn it off, it might take a few minutes to fire back up. They tend to need to cool down a bit before they fire back up.

Okay, so it's a magnetic ballast - check

Now do I need a special bulb for that? Or will ANY 175w MH work?

This one seams to work. I have burned it for about 8hrs so far and it gets brighter and brighter. More blue too. It's 14K. Takes about 15 minutes to light up all the way, but when it's fully lit .......... holy hawg leg that sucker is bright!!

It's fragtastic now!!

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3614.jpg
    IMG_3614.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3613.jpg
    IMG_3613.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_3617.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Couple more shots.

oops, loaded one of them twice. My one and only SPS frag all the way up at the top.

I had to use my PC light for now. Don't have time to make the reflector for the 175w MH. Thats only 78w of PC light on a 29g tank --looks awful bright to me.

There's a 3-stripe damsel in there behind the big rock. He's a little freaked because I just slammed my hand in the 10g tank and snatched him. Walked him over to the 29g tank and dropped him in - no acclimation.

I didn't acclimate any of the corals either. Tested the water in the 29g - all was normal - so just plucked them out of the 10g one by one and placed them in the 29g. The frags that are on racks - I just picked up the whole rack and moved it. Took 15 miutes to transfer the corals.

Attachments

• IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Glad ya like it. I'll make improvements to it slowly.

I'll put the 175w MH on it in the next month or two. I still need to get a couple wiring harness's for the 65w PC actinics. Then I'll probably build some kind of canopy or hanging hood to house the lights.

I am planning to remove the refugium baffle in the sump to increase my return section and lessen the effect of evaporation. By removing the baffle I can increase my return from 4g to about 7.5g

I'm going to drill the 10g tank and pipe into it for the refugium.

awesome rc... i'm so jealous...

so, tell me.... since i just got my first set of zoas.. how long do they take to grow? i mean i understand it depends on a lot of things, but assuming that mine are happy and whatnot, how fast do they grow?

Depends on what kind of zoas........

Average zoa colony will double in size about every 6 - 9 months, in my experience.

Best thing you can do is change 5% or 10% weekly with good RO water. Keep your chemistry set within normal parameters. My tank grows like dandelions - thats why I had to upgrade from a 10g frag to 30g.

More frags than I can sell - wish the local people weren't do damn cheap!! :frustrat: Some guy came over last weekend and offered me $20 for a rock the size of a banana that was covered in watermelon zoas. 2" diameter and about 8" long. I did a quick head count and was up between 90-100 polyps. I told the guy no. I'd want $40 for a rock like that. He laughed at me. Well F**K you then dude!! Go buy that rock from the LFS or an online retailer - you'll pay $80 - $100. :grumble:

Back