"re-cycle" micron bags?

Reefster

Reefing newb
I have an e-shopps sump that requires two bags to filter the water coming in. These things turn brown in a few days and need to be changed once a week i am presuming.

They run about $10 each and the cost is quickly adding up. Is there a different alternative to the e-shopps brand or can these things actually be washed in my washing machine?

I'm not familiar with those particular "micron bags" but I can say that I was my filter socks and reuse them all the time. I have Vertex Brand socks, and I would imagine you should be able to wash the eshopps ones too.

Yes, you can wash them with bleach and water...either by hand or in the washing machine. Just make sure you rinse it well and let it dry out before reusing.

They have you covered! One suggestion about something I just learned. I just adapted the eshopps bags to my sump.

Soak the bags in RODI water for a good 24 hours before you install them if you are running a skimmer. If not, you will find that the skimmer will over react like crazy for a day or two. In may still over react for a time even when you soak them.

Back