re-cycling live rock

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so since my lights came on and i wont be starting my tank for awhile i was thinking about starting to "live" my live rick again how wouuld i go about doing this

my plan is to NOT put it in mytank but rather in a rubbermaid bucket with RO/DI salt water and about 2 powerheads with my skimmer running in it would that be all i need to restart the cycle?
or do i need te lights to shine on them too ??

Thatll work. Keep circulation and temp right and the bacteria will start. Youll have to do water changes. Lights will help get coraline back no lights will help remove phosphates and nitrates. Throw some chaeto in it too IMO.

You will need ammonia to jump start the cycle,making the dead rock live again.A few pounds of uncured rock and/or a pinch of fish food will help.

You will need ammonia to jump start the cycle,making the dead rock live again.A few pounds of uncured rock and/or a pinch of fish food will help.

was thinking about ading a raw shrimp

also do i really need to seed it with more LR or would the shrimp do the job??

THe beneficial bacteria doesn't come out of thin air.You will need to add bacteria either by adding live rock or a package of live bacteria,a few pounds of live rock being the better choice.Then add a pinch of fish food,which is better than using a dead shrimp,IMO.If you use a table shrimp remove it a week later.

I'm curing some LR right now too. I added a 1) bit of LR from my tank to the 5G plastic drum, and 2) used the water from a change out and 3) put some "special Blend" or some other live bacteria mixture in there.

Back