Re-Using Live Rock

Satcomwitty

Reefing newb
Hello all - hopefully a very simple question.

About 6 weeks ago my wife and I started a 75 Gallon Reef Tank + 30 gallon refugium. We started with 150lbs of live rock we got on a great deal from our LFS. We couldn't fit all of the life rock nicely into the display tank so we put the remaining 40 or so pounds in the refugium.

Fast forward 5.5 weeks and we came across a deal too good to pass up on a 28 gallon bio-cube. Last night we mixed up a batch of water and took about 30 lbs of the rock that was in the refugium of the 75 system and put it in the biocube along with a NEW bag of live sand (fiji pink for those who care).

I will actively monitor the water params as we go forward, but my question is: given the fact that the rock was already cycled and was transferred with very limited time out of water (5-10 minutes max). Will this tank even "Cycle" like you would expect with a new tank? What should I watch out for if no levels change? The only thing I can come up with that may cause a cycle is the live sand that was new out of the box...

Any thoughts?

I wouldnt expect a cycle consider you use all live rock with minimal chance of die off, but it wouldnt hurt to toss in some food and wait a week just to monitor for any chance of a cycle.

Back