really high nitrite

rbb302

Reefing newb
my nitrites are higher then 5.0. my nitrate is 20. ammonia is 0.50. ph is 7.8 my nitraite was not this high until i put in my 50 lbs. of live rock i did a 30gallon water change today. My tank is 120gl and im runing a canister filter

Well it says its cured, but you should still see a mini cycle from the shipping and die off and such. Check your levels every day for about a week and keep up with the weekly water changes. See if they stabalize. Otherwise i'm not sure... may have something to do with your canister filter? Im not familure with those though as I have never had one. I think biff has, im sure she can chime in.

yea thats what the lady at the saltwater place i go to down here tould me could be die off from the rock. and i for got to say it had a tent of green in the water.

Yep, just wait it out... Your tank is cycling. You run that risk any time you add live rock, even if it is supposedly pre-cured. Keep checking your levels until ammonia and nitrite both drop down to zero, then do water changes to bring the nitrates close to zero.

you can it will keep you levels smaller so that any hitchhickers will have a better chance of living. but if you dont have any livestock in it i would not worry about it.

Going with your readings-ammonia low,nitrite high.It looks like it's halfway through a cycle.It wouldn't surprise me if the cycle is over in the next few days.

The green tint to the water is an algae bloom.Reduce the lighting or don't run them at all til after the cycle completes,ammonia and nitrite at zero.

If you can keep your ammonia close to 1 or below your bacteria and any hangers on will have a much better chance at survival.

Back