Reasons for Tank Crashes

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Folks I'm trying to compile a list of reasons for tank crashes (or any major tank disaster). Help from advanced or beginners is welcome. Enter both noob type mistakes and unusual incidents. Please contribute! Later I'll condense and order these based on prevalence for everyone.

- Sand bed or DSB becomes saturated with detritus and when stirred up causes ammonia spike or worse --Hydrogen Sulphide!!!!

- Some livestock, usually an invert blocks pump intake, leading to non-functional filtration system

- Extended power ooutage

-- Livestock introduced before cycle complete

reeffreak had that happen with a brand new tank the seals broke. can you imagine 210 gallons of water all over your house

Failing to test on a regular basis.
Not studying the tank and livestock daily.
faulty/outdated test kits
letting your RO/DI filter cartridges get old and worn out

Some guy here in the DC put a dwarf moray eel in his tank thinking because if was 'dwarf it wouldn't be that bad'. It started out by eating 2 fish that cost more than $260 --each.

Using contaminated water is a pretty common one... Either tap water that has not been dechlorinated or has been poisoned by something. Anyone that remembers Jermpool may remember how he filled his reef tank using a garden hose...that had copper fittings.

I think adding an anemone is high up on the list too!

- Sand bed or DSB becomes saturated with detritus and when stirred up causes ammonia spike or worse --Hydrogen Sulphide!!!!

sorry... I tried to let it slip by, but.. I can't! It's spelled sulfide. :)

Mantis shrimps... though that might fall under the same kind of heading as nudi infestations.

Back