Receding flesh

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Over the past 3 months I've lost 3 corals, 2 brains and 1 lobo, that all started out with a receding flesh line. Also, I just noticed last night that ANOTHER lobo, that I've had for a year, is showing signs of receding flesh. WTF is happening?

Params:
Cal - 320
DkH - 9
Mag - 1200
SG - 1.025
pH - 8.2
Temp - ~81
Phos & trates - 0

Ive been dosing a 2 part Cal/Alk product every morning and I know the Mag is a LITTLE low. I've been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef for water changes. I have no nuisance pests, haven't noticed any fish nipping at them, etc. The only thing that I can think of would be my lighting. I'm running 92watts over my 29g and had the corals placed on the bottom. At the beginning of the year I changed my bulbs from 2 AquaBlue+, midday, and pure actinic to 2 AquaBlue+ and 2 Pure Actinic bulbs. Except all my other corals are doing GREAT!(Frogspawn, torch, 2 Stylos, softies, etc.). I'm extremely stressed between work and school, then to come home to dead/dying coral is really depressing. I'm thinking about grabbing a midday bulb again to see if it'll help. Maybe the corals werent getting the proper spectrum of lighting?? HELP PLEASE!!?!

I'm sorry to hear that Evan. It does sound like they aren't getting enough light. Try doing an iodine dip and then placing them higher up closer to the lights. Your calcium seems a bit low also. I hope everything goes better for you bro.

Evan, your calcium is low! should be around 400 with your mg being 1200-3/1 mg/ca- those species showing recession are "massive" skeleton lps the most demanding on your ca- those species tend to be vary light tolerant also-
get that ca up to proper levels!!

In my experience, lobos in particular are very sensitive to changes in calcium, alkalinity and pH. When I had my kalk overdose, all my lobos were the first to go -- and every single one of them died.

Thx guys and gal!

To make things even better my power has been out for atleast 7hrs. After school I ran to walmart and bought a battery powered live well air pump. $30 later my fish get some fresh o2.

I'll dose with some Calcion in the morning. I think it may be too late for the lobo. STUPID me! Going and adding things without taking a second thought on how it's going to tax my chems.

Back